Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

I am a Forum User

300 AAC Blackout for whitetail

I'm considering the 300 AAC this firearm deer season. This would be a 150 grain Winchester soft point from a 10.5" pistol barrel. The reasoning is I often sit in a tree stand. Max range would be under 70 yards; probably 40-50.

Is this a reliable UP buck stopper?
    My experience has ranged from .223, .243, .270, .30/30, .300Savage, and .308.
    Last edited by nmuskier; 10-04-2019 at 08:36 PM.

I am a Forum User
    Took a northern LP whitetail with the 150 Winchester’s out of a 16” 300 blackout. Double lung shot, deer ran 100 yards or so if I remember correctly, it may have been a bit farther, with a lite blood trail. Complete pass through so I didn’t recover a bullet. I remember not feeling all warm and fuzzy thinking I wasn’t going to find the deer. I have seen the exact same results from a 30-06 more than once as well. Sometimes they just don’t bleed a lot. Doesn’t matter if it was 300 blk or 30-06 but dead is dead. I switched over to Hornady 110 v-max out of a 8.5” pistol last year but never got a shot on a deer.

MGO Member
    That load out of your 10.5" barrel, has more energy than a .44Mag. At your distances, you should have no problem putting down any MI whitetail.

It is where you hit them, more than what you hit them with.

Also...practice shooting from an elevated stand, if that is how you are going to hunt.
    Stop The Robberies Enjoy Safe Streets / You can't argue with slaves that don't know they're shackled.

I am a Forum User
    Thanks John. I'm sighting in at 40m. I can verify zero on the runway I hunt over from my tree stand. I'm guessing POI will be a bit high.

I am a Forum User
    Clarification #2

I'm hunting north of the restricted rifle zone (waaaay north). I'm hunting with a pistol (no stock, under 26" OAL). Is it correct that there is no magazine capacity limit for pistol hunting?
    I am planning on using a 5 round magazine regardless, just because of the mobility.