Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

I am a Forum User

Looking for holster advice...

Hey guys, I recently came into possession of a Ruger Super Blackhawk in 44 mag. Now I am looking for the best way to carry it. Not going to be open carrying or concealed carrying per say. But for treestand/still hunting. I am looking for something that will hold it either on my chest or on the left side. Something that won’t be in the way of my binos and what not. Looking especially for something practical not necessarily pretty. And if anyone has tips or advice on where to find some build-alongs or DIY setups, that would be even better. Thanks in advance for any help, Mike.

In Memoriam Forum User
    Tons of good choices out there, both leather and Kydex:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=ches...ih=951#imgrc=_

I've been considering something similar under a light windbreaker for driving when I'm in the U.P of Michigan.

MGO Member
    I don't like kydex for hunting because it's too noisy. I use a cross draw leather bianchi's for my hunting handguns. Easy to draw when sitting. I usually have it in hand anyway.

In Memoriam Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by kramer View Post
    I don't like kydex for hunting because it's too noisy. I use a cross draw leather bianchi's for my hunting handguns. Easy to draw when sitting. I usually have it in hand anyway.
    I agree but for hunting exposed to rain & snow leather might not be good either.

MGO Member
    Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.

This is what I use with my Toklat (a 5” .454 SRH if you don’t know). Bianchi X15.

The holster has a clamping action with a heavy leaf spring that holds the pistol in. So you don’t pull it up and out, you simply rotate the gun down in a natural drawing motion. Very easy to do while seated, or in a confined space. It is quiet. The strap is a finger-break type snap that’s also natural, but it isn’t necessary for retention. It’s a very comfortable rig, even with that pig in it. I often wear it while working on my property up north, and it doesn’t get in the way. The base of the holster has a belt loop with a snap. The elastic band that goes around your right arm keeps the load bearing strap from sliding off your shoulder. The whole rig stays put very well and doesn’t move around, even when bending over.

Bulletproof quality. There’s reviews of guys still using these holsters bought back in the day that are older than me.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/bianchi...and-12363.html

MGO Board of Directors

Quote Originally Posted by hardwaymike0318 View Post
    Hey guys, I recently came into possession of a Ruger Super Blackhawk in 44 mag. Now I am looking for the best way to carry it. Not going to be open carrying or concealed carrying per say. But for treestand/still hunting. I am looking for something that will hold it either on my chest or on the left side. Something that won’t be in the way of my binos and what not. Looking especially for something practical not necessarily pretty. And if anyone has tips or advice on where to find some build-alongs or DIY setups, that would be even better. Thanks in advance for any help, Mike.
    Go with a chest holster.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

Quote Originally Posted by VIGILANT View Post
    I agree but for hunting exposed to rain & snow leather might not be good either.
    Saddle Soap and Bear Grease. Soft and water resistant

Quote Originally Posted by SIX29 View Post
    Saddle Soap and Bear Grease. Soft and water resistant
    Never use anything on a holster that will soften the leather. Holster leather is left still purposely to help with gun retention and hold its shape.

I am pretty happy with my Uncle Mikes shoulder holster for carrying my scoped Super Blackhawk in the field. It is ballistic cloth with a stiff insert has a waist strap to keep the gun tight against the body, holds the gun securely so far and best of all was fairly inexpensive. It fits reasonably well under a heavy coat or rain gear if you want and is on the Oder of leather, maybe even a bit better for quietness in brush. Mine is a bandoleer style with the shoulder strap going over my of shoulder in place of a set of strips over each shoulder and connecting.

http://www.unclemikes.com/products/h...ulder-holsters
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray