Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

1967 BAR Markings

Good Afternoon Everyone:
    My buddy at work has a Browning BAR 30-06 made in 1967. We are trying to figure out what the stamped 'proof' marks mean. Does anyone have any knowledge? We are just trying to learn more about what seems to be an early production rifle. The serial number is 3466 M7. I assume my 1969 BAR has similar markings, but I have not checked it yet.

Thanks in Advance!
    Costanza
    The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, “You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.”

MGO Member
    His serial # should be on the barrel. First year Grade II's had a Gazelle engraved, instead of a Pronghorn. Your serial should be on the bottom of the receiver I believe.

Date Historic Information Serial Number Info
    1967-75

1967-68 BARs had serial numbers that read like this: 1234M8. The number after the M designates the year. 7 means 67. 8 means 68.

Starting in 1969 Browning began the actual number using two digits for the date of manufacture, followed by an M. The number before M is the year.
    M=BAR High Power Rifle. This was then followed by the serial number beginning with 1000.
    Example: 69M1000 = A 1969 BAR High Power rifle with a serial number of 1000.

M=BAR High Power Rifle

Before 1969 the number after the M was the year.

1969-75 the number before the M was
    Last edited by john.41; 10-10-2019 at 07:24 AM.
    Stop The Robberies Enjoy Safe Streets / You can't argue with slaves that don't know they're shackled.

Thank you John!
    The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, “You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.”