Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Guns and Cannabis

Guns and Cannabis: The Insidious Creep of Tyranny

By John Klar
    American Thinker
    Octoner 11th. 2019

In 2004, Vermont implemented a medical marijuana registry, promising patient confidentiality on its state website. Then, in 2018, Vermont legalized recreational marijuana use and imposed a universal background check on gun-purchasers.

Here's the rub: the federal government was not consulted, and the ATF maintains that anyone using marijuana will be denied clearance to purchase any gun. This was already the case prior to Vermont's recreational cannabis legalization — those who were on the state's marijuana registry were not allowed to buy guns from federally licensed dealers, as the state of Vermont provided the list of registrants surreptitiously to the federal government. Yet those on the cannabis registry could still purchase guns from neighbors — that is, until the vaulted "universal background check" closed that "loophole" for sick people to defend themselves. All without public discussion, or even awareness.

This is how government steals liberties.

The Second Amendment was specifically crafted to ensure that government would never intrude itself between the right to defend one's home and country and the Creator of the universe, who alone can bestow or withdraw "inalienable rights." There was no discussion in the Vermont Legislature of the elimination of this right for pain-suffering Vermonters whose government promised them confidentiality. There will be no discussion when that unilateral power is employed to eliminate those with depression, PTSD, or various other attributes from the list of those eligible (that is, who "hold the right" granted by government) to purchase a weapon. This is the creeping hand of government tyranny, happening already in many states. (Sadly, such policies will discourage veterans and others from seeking treatment.)

In Memoriam Forum User
    Considering marijuana is still illegal on a Federal level is anyone surprised by this? No different than other drugs like Norco, Valium, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by VIGILANT View Post
    Considering marijuana is still illegal on a Federal level is anyone surprised by this? No different than other drugs like Norco, Valium, etc.
    I didn't know there was a Narco and Vallium registry. We must assume that Vermont handed over that list as well?

In 2004, Vermont implemented a medical marijuana registry, promising patient confidentiality on its state website. Then, in 2018, Vermont legalized recreational marijuana use and imposed a universal background check on gun-purchasers.

Here's the rub: the federal government was not consulted, and the ATF maintains that anyone using marijuana will be denied clearance to purchase any gun. This was already the case prior to Vermont's recreational cannabis legalization — those who were on the state's marijuana registry were not allowed to buy guns from federally licensed dealers, as the state of Vermont provided the list of registrants surreptitiously to the federal government. Yet those on the cannabis registry could still purchase guns from neighbors — that is, until the vaulted "universal background check" closed that "loophole" for sick people to defend themselves. All without public discussion, or even awareness.

This is how government steals liberties.

The Second Amendment was specifically crafted to ensure that government would never intrude itself between the right to defend one's home and country and the Creator of the universe, who alone can bestow or withdraw "inalienable rights." There was no discussion in the Vermont Legislature of the elimination of this right for pain-suffering Vermonters whose government promised them confidentiality. There will be no discussion when that unilateral power is employed to eliminate those with depression, PTSD, or various other attributes from the list of those eligible (that is, who "hold the right" granted by government) to purchase a weapon. This is the creeping hand of government tyranny, happening already in many states. (Sadly, such policies will discourage veterans and others from seeking treatment.)

More bold needed.

We Promise!
    The Constitution is NOT dead. It's just being held captive.

DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

MGO Board of Directors

Trustee

Quote Originally Posted by Smokepole View Post
    This is the creeping hand of government tyranny, happening already in many states. (Sadly, such policies will discourage veterans and others from seeking treatment.)
    This is a real problem
    And it's not even unintended consequences. To them it's just acceptable losses in the culture war, because any loss of life is still a win in their book.
    "see, people without guns don't kill themselves with guns" - win
    "see, we need to take guns away because people can kill themselves with guns!" - win
    "see, we need to take guns away because guns make people go kill other people!!" - big win
    DISCLAIMER: Disclaimer. The opinions expressed in this post are those of the author, DrScaryGuy. They do not purport to reflect the opinions or views of MGO, its board of directors, or its members.

Whats interesting is that weed smokers are becoming more and more pro-gun in a huge wave.

When the .gov tells them they ARE NOT ALLOWED to exercise their rights, they get suuuuuuuper upset.
    I think gun owners' newest best friends should be pot-heads. We should be helping them get their rights restored, and that will make US NON-SMOKERS more secure.

My enemie's enemy is my friend.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Coctailer View Post
    Whats interesting is that weed smokers are becoming more and more pro-gun in a huge wave.

When the .gov tells them they ARE NOT ALLOWED to exercise their rights, they get suuuuuuuper upset.
    I think gun owners' newest best friends should be pot-heads. We should be helping them get their rights restored, and that will make US NON-SMOKERS more secure.

A lot people are concerned about the "professional image" of gun owners but you're definitely onto something.

We need as many groups of people on board as we can get; especially when the media is going to paint gun owners as "scary, evil people" even at our most professional levels.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Coctailer View Post

Okay, that is the ONLY argument for pot
    that I ever agreed with. I'm good with it now.

Joe

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by luckless View Post
    I didn't know there was a Narco and Vallium registry. We must assume that Vermont handed over that list as well?
    Until "e. Are you an unlawful user of or addicted to, marijuana or any depressant, stimulant, narcotic drug or or any other controlled substance?" is removed from ATF Form 4473 (5300.9), the presence or absence of any registry - marijuana or otherwise - is irrelevant.

I am a Forum User
    They don't like a cannabis registry because of possible government abuse of privacy. But they want a gun registry "for everyone's safety".
    What's worse is they now have government misuse of the registry, yet they still want a gun registry.

Still, those involved in illicit drug trade and use have reason to be prohibited person's. A legal and regulated market is not illicit.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast