Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Shield Striker Block Malfunctioning?

Field stripped my M&P Shield this evening for a routine cleaning and inspection, and I discovered that the striker block was not preventing the striker from protruding through the bolt face.

Well, sometimes it does, and sometimes it doesn't. If the striker is first pulled to the rear, as when the striker is cocked, the block pops into position and blocks the striker. However, when the block is pushed in, it *clicks* against the striker and stays put, allowing the striker to be pushed forward repeatedly, even without continuing to press on the block. It feels more like they're catching on each other in an unusual way. There doesn't seem to be any grit or grime in the block's channel, and I cleaned it tonight to make sure. Neither it nor the striker appear damaged, although I didn't remove the striker block because I didn't want to remove the rear sight.

This obviously doesn't create a completely unsafe situation as, whenever cocked, the striker block should pop into place where it's supposed to be. But it's still disconcerting enough that I won't be loading or carrying the pistol until I hear back from Smith and Wesson (just submitted a support ticket). However, I've found people on a couple other forums claiming the Shield striker block is supposed to function this way, although that doesn't sound right to me. It seems like I would've noticed in past inspections, although I almost always pull the striker back a bit before pushing forward, so I guess I could have missed it? Anyway, the striker block on my M&P 2.0 Compact prevents forward striker movement under all circumstances, so it seems unlikely this would be normal on the Shield, unless something changed between the generations, or between the fat and skinny slides.

Anyone know anything about how the striker block is supposed to function on a first generation Shield? Either way, I'll report back with what I hear from S&W for future searchers to find, because this seems to come up every once in a while but I haven't found any definitive answers elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Scandiacus View Post
    Either way, I'll report back with what I hear from S&W for future searchers to find, because this seems to come up every once in a while but I haven't found any definitive answers elsewhere.
    S&W reported back that this functionality is normal. Guess I've been checking it wrong.