Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Oklahoma firefighter shot when ammo popped off during fire loses eye, may lose hearing

LATIMER COUNTY, Okla. —

A firefighter continues to undergo treatment after he was wounded when ammunition popped off during a mobile home fire in southeast Oklahoma.

According to the Latimer County Emergency Management, Lyle Walker-Pugh, with the Buffalo Valley Fire Department responded to the fire at about 7:15 p.m. Saturday at a mobile home that was full of ammunition. The flames caused ammunition to start firing, and Walker-Pugh was shot in the face and head area, officials said.
    Advertisement

According to an update on a GoFundMe account, Walker-Pugh was hit by the ammo at the corner of his eye and traveled through his head, exiting behind his ear. It also caused a fractured skull and brain bleed.

Officials said doctors were unable to save his eye and he may have suffered hearing loss.
    https://www.koco.com/article/oklahom...s-say/29518235

There also had to be a firearm of some sort present! Just ammo, no way to capture and direct the energy of the igniting powder, the projectile has almost energy, the case has more, but still not enough to penetrate a mans head. Much less a through and through.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

Once the projectile separates from the case all the pressure is reduced.
    To do that type of damage it had to be in a barrel to retain the pressure.
    [QUOTE]["Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin/QUOTE]

I am a Forum User
    You guys are getting it that it is just
    a fake news/lies/attack on AMMO
    and keeping/possessing more than a few rounds.

Geez, my people concern me sometimes....

Joe

I can see it damaging an eye, but you'd have to not be wearing your PPE's for that to happen. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SlOXowwC4c

Quote Originally Posted by red442joe View Post
    You guys are getting it that it is just
    a fake news/lies/attack on AMMO
    and keeping/possessing more than a few rounds.

Geez, my people concern me sometimes....

Joe
    I don't give them that much credit. I WILL openly declare that it is some of the crappiest reporting I have read since I left home on Monday.

According to an update on a GoFundMe account, Walker-Pugh was hit by the ammo at the corner of his eye and traveled through his head, exiting behind his ear. It also caused a fractured skull and brain bleed.
    Would anybody here consider that a reliable source?

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

In Memoriam Forum User
    MythBusters did a special show on the subject. The brass became the projectile not the bullet and it did not have a lot of energy. So to say the fireman was "shot" would be an exaggeration. I could see him getting injured, but I don't think it would be too serious considering all the heavy clothing & helmets with face shields they wear. But none of us were there so we're just speculating. In any event it sounds like he may my ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Moleman- View Post
    I can see it damaging an eye, but you'd have to not be wearing your PPE's for that to happen. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SlOXowwC4c

In Memoriam Forum User
    It sounds as though this amounted to a panic attack... Glad to hear he wasn't seriously injured.

He was life-flighted to Tulsa and his condition is unknown at this time.

Latimer County officials say the fire chief “was so upset he started having chest pains.”

The fire chief was also flown to a hospital in Tulsa where he will spend a few days taking medications.

[source]
    https://kfor.com/2019/10/14/oklahoma...officials-say/

The NRA did a test some years ago setting off loose ammo in a cardboard box where found the bullet/ brass did not have the energy to penetrate the cardboard.
    I have a BIL that is a retired large city fire fighter that pretty much agrees with these findings and claimed hearing rounds go off during a home fire was not all that uncommon. He claimed as long as you wore your protective gear and the ammo was not in a gun, he and none of his fellow firemen worried about it. Loaded firearms were however a very real risk if present.
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray