Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

I am a Forum User

Drilling and tapping a Mauser 98

I just bought a pretty beat up Kar98k in 30-06 for $100 not long ago that I want to put a scope on, since it's beyond the point of returning to its' original military configuration, but the bore ain't in half-bad shape. I did some research to see what the best way would be to drill and tap the receiver for the bases, but the only sure-fire (no pun intended) way to do it RIGHT, from what I could find, would be to get the drill&tap fixture by Wheeler Engineering, which is no longer in production and isn't available anywhere. I was wondering if anyone on here maybe had the fixture and would be willing to sell it to me, or if anyone knew of a different fixture that would also do the job right?

Williams gun sight used used to offer a fairly inexpensive jig for aligning receiver holes. You might call and check on whether or not it fits your need and where you can get one
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Ol` Joe View Post
    Williams gun sight used used to offer a fairly inexpensive jig for aligning receiver holes. You might call and check on whether or not it fits your need and where you can get one
    Thanks, I'll look into it.

EDIT: I found the fixture you were talking about but I don't think it's quite what I need, plus it's pretty expensive compared to the other fixture I wanted originally. I think I'll try doing it on a Bridgeport. Thank you for the reply though
    Last edited by That one dude; 10-20-2019 at 08:52 AM. Reason: Update

I am a Forum User
    I have the same and it worked well

https://www.opticsplanet.com/sun-opt...drill-jig.html

pics when its done please. Love old mausers, especially cheap shooters.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtmcgirt76239 View Post
    pics when its done please. Love old mausers, especially cheap shooters.
    Will do! I've got quite a bit of cleaning up to do before it's picture worthy

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by alcoholbanshee View Post
    I had no idea it was on optics planet. Thank you for showing me this, it's a Godsend. Got one ordered!

Marketplace Moderator
    Something to think about. There is more than one pattern for drilling and tapping a Mauser action. There is a 3 and a 4 hole bolt pattern and the holes are not in the same place on both. Make sure your mount will fit your drilled pattern. Good Safe Shooting, MOOSE

I can't post links yet! Forum User

4D reamers

Quote Originally Posted by That one dude View Post
    I just bought a pretty beat up Kar98k in 30-06 for $100 not long ago that I want to put a scope on, since it's beyond the point of returning to its' original military configuration, but the bore ain't in half-bad shape. I did some research to see what the best way would be to drill and tap the receiver for the bases, but the only sure-fire (no pun intended) way to do it RIGHT, from what I could find, would be to get the drill&tap fixture by Wheeler Engineering, which is no longer in production and isn't available anywhere. I was wondering if anyone on here maybe had the fixture and would be willing to sell it to me, or if anyone knew of a different fixture that would also do the job right?
    They rent all sorts of tools for Mausers. The Williamsfixture is $28