Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    In Memoriam Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuel Fire Desire View Post
    What year of manufacture is your gen 2?

I have a gen 2 produced in 2017, and I was expecting the titanium nitride bolt finish. I was a bit disappointed when it was a glossy black. I was told it was an updated ‘salt bath nitride’ finish. No issues with it though, it’s still a very slick feeling finish. The bore is now lined with this finish too. Probably 1500 rounds through it so far, and the only malfunctions I’ve had were user induced from improper gas settings. Though, when the RFB goes out of production (soon, as they are talking about superseding it with a 7.62 RDB variant using AR10 mags and that’s significantly cheaper to manufacture) I’m definitely going to buy a couple pairs of extractor claws.
    Not sure what year, I'll have to check. But it definitely has the titanium coated bolt assembly it has that light brassy color to it. I know my bore is chromed. I saw a YouTube video that did a good job of demonstrating the proper way to adjust the gas valve. I'm pretty certain a lot of people that had feed or ejections issues were unaware it should be done or how to do it.

At my age I was fearing it might be a little too much gun for me and was going to downside to something a little more human friendly, LOL! But it's not like I'm going to pump hundreds of rounds if I take it to the range. My son will have fun with it and it will probably become part of his inheritance.

I read something that surprised me. It said the .308 round can be a little hotter than a 7.62x51 NATO round. I would have thought it would be the other way around. It also said the .308 case diameter is slightly larger than the 7.63 NATO equivalent.

I am a Forum User
    .." it's going to be expensive to feed it 7.62x51 NATO ammo.."

true, with most center fire rife ammo ('cept .223 / 5.56 cal.) costing $1 / rnd (or > )
    Hand loading (reloading) can cut your ammo costs considerably. I've avoided using cheap steel ammo in all my rifles,
    as cheap ammo doesn't make sense in an expensive rifle.

a simple single stage press & related equipment can allow you to feed your .308's a steady diet

added: have used .308 & 7.62 X 51 in both my M1A & AR-10 w/o any adverse incidents..I just just use 150 -165gr. bullets
    Last edited by joepistol; 10-21-2019 at 09:35 AM.

In Memoriam Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by joepistol View Post

true, with most center fire rife ammo ('cept .223 / 5.56 cal.) costing $1 / rnd (or > )
    Hand loading (reloading) can cut your ammo costs considerably. I've avoided using cheap steel ammo in all my rifles,

a simple single stage press & related equipment can allow you to feed your .308's a steady diet

added: have used .308 & 7.62 X 51 in both my M1A & AR-10 w/o any adverse incidents..I just just use 150 -165gr. bullets
    You can find good quality bulk ammo for a lot less. I used to reload back in the 80's. I don't shoot enough anymore to make it worthwhile to invest in all the equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by joepistol View Post

I’m sure you know, but as an aside for those who don’t, bullet weight has nothing to do with the cartridges pressure. It is entirely possible for the lightest weight bullet available for a given cartridge to produce the highest pressures, or maybe not. Or maybe this week, but switch places with another next year.
    SAAMI sets a max average pressure for each cartridge and the manufactures shoot for that mark. The pressures they actually get depends on lots of variables, barrel and chamber geometry, case volume, powder used, powder lot, bullet core and jacket hardness, bearing surface, ammo temperature yadda, yadda, yadda..
    The variables may allow bullet “A” to be pushed within 2k psi of the max average but bullet “B” to be throttled back to 5k psi lower pressures due to a tendency to exceed the ”max allowed” pressure while maintaining an acceptable “average max”.
    I did mention there is another limit beside the MAP (max allowed pressure)?
    this is the MPLM (max probable lot mean) or the max peak pressure allowed in the sample the average is taken from. The way this figured is derived escapes me tonight.
    Go from one brand of ammo to another and the pressures of a given bullet weight might be totally different.

BTW SAAMI sets the map for the 308 win @ 62 k psi while CIP sets it at 60k psi. The 7.62x51 is set at 60,191 psi.
    NATO from everything I’ve observed, follows CIP std which makes sense since that is the European std and we even though being the major player are in the minority. Be aware too, CIP measures pressures at a different point in the chamber which makes direct comparisons invalid.
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

In Memoriam Forum User
    My head hurts.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12