Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MGO Member

AR47 pistol Upper

Does anyone here have a AR47 Pistol Upper that mounts to a standard AR15 lower? And works reliably? Considering one, but there are not a ton of options. PSA used to make one but now you have to use their proprietary lower.

Thanks for the responses below. My apologies, I should have said that I was specifically looking for a pistol upper in 7.62X39.
    Last edited by hendo; 10-26-2019 at 07:32 PM.
    Washtenaw Sportsman's Club member
    NRA Certified RSO (Thanks MGO)
    NRA Member

I am a Forum User
    You're talking about a standard 7.62x39 DI upper, right?

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BMT85 View Post
    You're talking about a standard 7.62x39 DI upper, right?

If that pins to a standard AR15 lower, then yes.
    NRA Member

I am a Forum User
    They do, and there are quite a few options out there. If you build one, you have even more options.

I have 3 7.62x39 uppers built that run no problem:
    18" KAK midlength gas melonite
    16" ARP, midlegth gas, with XD bolt
    13" ARP, midlength gas, with XD bolt
    Also slowly putting together a Faxon 9', pistol gas (has a 308" bore)

The KAK upper I use for Yugo M67, rarely anything else. Barrel, muzzle brake, gas block, gas tube, and bolt carrier are melonite. Bolt is NIB. Don't have to worry about the corrosive salts in M67. The build originally had a few cycling issues. Went and tweaked the feed lips, rounded out the front of the mags (CPD brand), also ground down and smoothed out the bottom lug on the barrel extension. Probably didn't need to mess with the barrel extenion, oh well. No feeding issues since.

16" ARP ran fine after about 100rd break-in (has a slightly undersized gas port).

13" ARP ran from the get go.

I do not shoot steel case. My personal opinion, if you are going to run it, I would do a break-in with good brass cased ammo (S&B is a good one), to see if there is any issues first. Then switch to steel case. Steel case can bring it's own issues, which could cause you a headache on a new build. That goes for any caliber, in my opinion. I have nothing against steel cased ammo, I just shoot mostly indoor, and not allowed to shoot it.

I personally wouldn't run a carbine gas on anything over about 14.5", don't need it. If you do run a carbine gas length, you wil probably need heavier buffers, or an adjustable gas block. 7.62x39 barrels regardless of gas length, are usually ported to run even the weakest ammo. Having a midlength gas system will be easier to tune.

I bought a few CPD 30rd mags, tweaked the feed lips, and rounded out the front. Run no issues. Have some 5rd and 10rd ASC that run no problem. Have some ASC 30rd mags that I haven't tried yet.

A lot of issues with 7.62x39 mags I believe stem from not tweaking them. So far, I haven't had issues after playing with them a little bit. I do it for all non 5.56 mags. I say if you have feeding issues, start with the mags and go from there.

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hendo View Post
    Does anyone here have a AR47 Upper that mounts to a standard AR15 lower? And works reliably? Considering one, but there are not a ton of options. PSA used to make one but now you have to use their proprietary lower.
    Bump
    NRA Member

My 7" PSA 7.62x39 upper runs great and is more accurate than any other of a dozen+ AK/SKS types I have owned. I have a ALG ACT trigger in it. On a standard 5.56 lower as a pistol, real fun to shoot. I only shoot steel case also. 5, 10, 20 round Cproducts mags work flawless. I usually just leave the AAC SDN-6 on it too.

KAKindustry sells all the parts to build a 7.62x39 upper if you want to go that way.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "The path to true knowledge is paved with wasted money" copyright postban forever!
    NRA Endowment Member, 2AF Life Member, GOA Patriot Member

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by postban View Post
    My 7" PSA 7.62x39 upper runs great and is more accurate than any other of a dozen+ AK/SKS types I have owned. I have a ALG ACT trigger in it. On a standard 5.56 lower as a pistol, real fun to shoot. I only shoot steel case also. 5, 10, 20 round Cproducts mags work flawless. I usually just leave the AAC SDN-6 on it too.

KAKindustry sells all the parts to build a 7.62x39 upper if you want to go that way.
    I was going to get the PSA, but now they only do the KS47 uppers, which must be paired with KS47 lowers.
    NRA Member

I am a Forum User
    This one from PSA is for reg lowers: palmettostatearmory.com/psa-pa47-16-7-62x39-upper-w-bcg-and-charging-handle.html

Quote Originally Posted by 81mmcat View Post
    FIFY

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hendo View Post
    Does anyone here have a AR47 Pistol Upper that mounts to a standard AR15 lower? And works reliably? Considering one, but there are not a ton of options. PSA used to make one but now you have to use their proprietary lower.

Thanks for the responses below. My apologies, I should have said that I was specifically looking for a pistol upper in 7.62X39.
    Anyone running a pistol upper?
    NRA Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast