Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I can't post links yet! Forum User

Walnut stock rifles

Hello,

I am interested in Walnut/Woodstock rifles (I’m 27 but love that look of a gun!!). I am interested in the Bergara Woodsman (or Timber) and the Weatherby Vanguard Sporter. I would be looking at spending close to $1,000 on a rifle like this. What are some other variations that I should consider? I would only consider buying new (I don’t buy used unless I know the owner). I liked Savages, but a lot of their stuff seemed to go composite (correct me if they’re still doing wood stocks besides Axis) and I’m not really interested in Remington just a personal preference

Wow, I really must be getting old.
    I remember when it was standard for all long guns to have wood stocks and fore ends.
    It's sad that they are now considered an oddity.
    Kinda like the smell of Hopps #9. Good memories.
    To answer your question, I'm picking up a Henry lever gun tomorrow with Walnut stocks. Grade 1.
    Different manufacturers offer different grades of wood.
    As a general rule the more money you spend, the better grade of wood you will get. Not always, but most of the time.

Take a look at some of the older Winchester's. Model 70s Model 88s, Browning and Henry ( my personal favorite) etc...
    Even the older Remingtons before they sold their soul.
    The classics.
    They really knew how to make'em back then.

Research the history of the manufacturer.
    Not only educational, but makes for interesting reading, and trust me, you will use that knowledge later.

I have a special folder for that kind of info.
    That way you can see what upgrades or changes were done throughout the years.
    a good example is a Winchester pre 64 vs post 64.

Don't be afraid to buy from somebody you don't know as long as you get to know them a little bit on the phone first before buying.
    You'll know soon enough if they are trustworthy. Most are.
    My experience, buying classic rifles I'm usually dealing with an older gentleman with no one to hand his guns down to.

Don't be surprised if he vets you as much as you vet him.

That has happened to me quite a bit. These rifles and shotguns mean something to these men and they want to make sure they are going to good homes.

Word of advice.
    Be polite, be courteous and respectful and always end your sentence with the word sir.
    Goes a helluva long way when your dealing with old school.
    For what it's worth....
    Last edited by Thunderhead; 10-23-2019 at 12:19 AM.

I am a Forum User
    Don't forget the Ruger M77, Tikka T3x and the CZ series. They all make good rifles with walnut stocks.

If I was starting over at this time, I would start with a Winchester model 70. They make a variety in wood/blue guns. My first new rifle was a Browning semi auto in 30-06. A great semi but on my first horseback hunt, the outfitter didn't want any semi auto's around his horses. Semi's going in and out of a scabbard "could" possibly load a round into the chamber.

A model 70 in the old 30-06 would last you a lifetime, although you will probably, like most of us, find that one gun just won't fill the bill all the time, HA.

Here is a decent deal, although look around for a better price.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/product_...ducts_id/90590

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderhead View Post
    Wow, I really must be getting old.
    I remember when it was standard for all long guns to have wood stocks and fore ends.
    It's sad that they are now considered an oddity.
    Kinda like the smell of Hopps #9. Good memories.
    To answer your question, I'm picking up a Henry lever gun tomorrow with Walnut stocks. Grade 1.
    Different manufacturers offer different grades of wood.
    As a general rule the more money you spend, the better grade of wood you will get. Not always, but most of the time.

Take a look at some of the older Winchester's. Model 70s Model 88s, Browning and Henry ( my personal favorite) etc...
    Even the older Remingtons before they sold their soul.
    The classics.
    They really knew how to make'em back then.

Research the history of the manufacturer.
    Not only educational, but makes for interesting reading, and trust me, you will use that knowledge later.

I have a special folder for that kind of info.
    That way you can see what upgrades or changes were done throughout the years.
    a good example is a Winchester pre 64 vs post 64.

Don't be afraid to buy from somebody you don't know as long as you get to know them a little bit on the phone first before buying.
    You'll know soon enough if they are trustworthy. Most are.
    My experience, buying classic rifles I'm usually dealing with an older gentleman with no one to hand his guns down to.

Don't be surprised if he vets you as much as you vet him.

That has happened to me quite a bit. These rifles and shotguns mean something to these men and they want to make sure they are going to good homes.

Word of advice.
    Be polite, be courteous and respectful and always end your sentence with the word sir.
    Goes a helluva long way when your dealing with old school.
    For what it's worth....
    Wow!

Thunderhead, I could not have expressed my feelings better then what you conveyed.

I do have some items for consideration.

I have a number of firearms. Some are beauties and some are beaters.
    I am reluctant to take my beauties hunting when it is not the best weather, that is what the beaters are for.
    Some f my beauties are for competition, they get used a lot but my competition guns get thousands of rounds through them every year and wear their distress proudly.

With that being said, I would not get a beautie as my first hunting gun or my first competition gun because it is going to get beat up. Get a beater. Get the beautie as a second gun.

thats my thoughts and hope you take them under consideration.

Regards,
    Crankster

You may want look at Browning! I have an A Bolt Medallion, with a beautiful Walnut stock.
    Mine is left hand model. Besides looking good, it shoots sub -MOA groups.

Due health condition, I would consider selling it.

look at winchester 70 if you are willing to spend that much, they go from pretty dang nice stuff on mid level rifles, to options like triple fancy birds eye maple, and all sorts of crazy wood you never see in person. It gets expensive but its not out of the reach of a middle class upper middle class guy, you can definitely more than double the price of the rifle if you have fancy tastes very quickly.

I've looked at this a few times, I'm hoping someone buys it so I don't think about it.

Name:  win.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  60.0 KB

https://www.armslist.com/posts/99098...70-300-win-mag
    " It's not about the size of the circle, it's the loyalty in it. "

" A man’s rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box.” - Frederick Douglass

" When one with honeyed words but evil mind Persuades the mob, great woes befall the state." - Euripides, Orestes

" America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we lose our freedoms it will be because we have destroyed ourselves from within." - Unknown

DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

I am a Forum User
    Tika’s and CZ’s are both bargains. You mentioned not buying used personally I’m the opposite I try to always buy used. Your dollar will go further and you should be able to resell it for what you paid for if you decide that you want something else.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast