Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Cool Experience is Kool

"Originally Posted by oldmann1967
    Great idea! Something to contemplate. have you ever shot one? A straight bolt action or single shot really hurts to shoot in my experience. I will never try it again unless it has a recoil system of some sort. I am a big guy and shooting a 50 is out of the question.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuel Fire Desire View Post
    I have not. I’ve never even been present when one was fired.
    Being there and then adding a hands on Experience, will help you decide.
    Always experience the unit before purchasing.
    Many folks buy things only to regret what they thought was a great experience to own.

When you are on that firing line and the ground starts shaking, indicates rapid fire begun and that is a Cool Experience .

Then what happens the next day, after firing 50 rounds (+/-), how will your body feel about that!

Remember we shoot for enjoyment, without extreme pain.

Know your limits, enjoy the sport.
    NRA Certified Instructor & Pistol Coach (since 1982)
    Life Member - NRA, DAV, IHMSA, St Pete Police Pistol Club, USPSA/IPSC
    Veteran - Korea DMZ 62~63
    Think Fast - Shoot Fast - Live to see another Day.

MGO Member
    I have lots of 50 BMG downrange through a Barrett M82A1 lightweight, Ingles Boys converted to BMG and a State Arms. Shot a few others as well.

The muzzle brake is important as is rifle weight to help mitigate recoil. I wouldn't buy one of the real light ones. The Barrett Model 99 is probably as light as I'd go and that's almost too light but has a decent brake. At the same time the recoil isn't as bad as many claim, with a proper brake it's more of a push than the high impact smack of a 7mm or 300 mag. I'm not that big at 165# and have run 50-100 rounds in a day. Never walked away from the range all beat up. I put girls and teenagers behind my guns, all they did was smile.

Then optics. I wouldn't consider anything but a glass etched reticle, Vortex PST's are glass but there are many others. Call whatever manufacturer you are considering and ask of theirs are 50 rated. Cheap scopes and 50's will be never ending frustration. Get really good steel mounts & rings too, I've seen 50's launch scopes and heard about many broken wire reticles.

Accuracy, like with all rifles, comes from the complete system, problem is that the suitable components are all expensive. If you put cheap junk in you'll get cheap junk results.

Now for some old guy wisdom. All of the normal hunting cartridges, the big 45s included, are sub-calibers in comparison to the BMG. Every time you light it off you're setting off a bomb. 750 grain pro-jos and 235 grains of powder are not to be trifled with on either end of the barrel. But then it's an easy cartridge to reload if you have suitable equipment. Suitable back stops are required, think 3x more than you planned.

Have fun, be safe.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Fuel Fire Desire View Post
    I have not. I’ve never even been present when one was fired.

Recoil is a concern with a bolt gun, though from what write ups people have made about the M99 people have said its similar to a 3 1/2” magnum 12 gauge or a lightweight .30-06, and not as bad as a .300WM. Not the most comfortable, but nowhere near as abusive as a safari rifle or ultralight hunting rifle in a Magnum/ ultramag. My guess is that the muzzle device is a very effective one, at least from what the internet reviews say.

What model 50 have you shot? Was it an M99/95?
    I am not sure. It was actually an upper that pinned to an AR15 lower. Triangular barrel. Dumbest rifle ever.

I am a Forum User
    I’ve owned a Barrett M99 and a 82A1, a Steyr HS50 M1 and now have a 107A1 Military Deployment Kit. There is definitely a “WOW” factor with them but like everything else that gets old. I find I don’t want to lug the big 50 around to shoot and you can only take 20-30 rounds from the concussive blast before you had enough. 50BMG is not the best choice for accurate long range shooting as compared to many other calibers. But if you want to make a lot of noise, have people go “wow” and ******* ******* up then go for it!! Heck I may even sell you my new in the case M107A1 plus a couple thousand rounds of ammo if the price is right!! Weapon comes with a Leupold scope with BORS.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12