Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

So.....I want to buy a fifty...

I’m just starting to contemplate and research the reality of getting into 50 BMG, and would welcome advice from those who have already done so.

My goals; to have a long range high energy rifle to be used in a casual non-competitive setting. Initial ranges desired will be within 600 yards, and eventually out to 1000 yards once skill level reaches that point. I do have the land to exercise the rifle’s abilities, and it will likely never see a public or club range.

Why BMG and not say .338LM? If I’m going to play the $5 a trigger pull game, I’d like to have the ability to shoot the fun options the BMG has to offer at closer ranges (API, tracer, cheap ball etc). Also, call it a macho characteristic, but I’d also like to have the “wow” factor of shooting the BMG for personal satisfaction.

My thoughts on rifle platform; After some brief research, I am leaning towards the Barrett M99. While the M82/107 are appealing, I’d rather have a more accurate rifle over one that I can to a mag dump with. From what I’ve gathered (I may be wrong) the M82/107 are 3-4 MOA guns with good ammo, while the M99 is capable of 1 MOA or better. I do not have a problem feeding the rifle one round at a time. The AR upper options do not appeal to me.

Initially I will be using factory/ surplus, but I will handload for it eventually.

Optics:

My first thought is a Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-2 in MOA. I am a fan of FFP, and think the EBR-2 reticle will work well with a FFP setup. The reticle has 36 MOA of substensions from center to bottom of post. If I have my ballistics right, the BMG has around 24 MOA of drop at 1000 yards. From my limited knowledge, I think this will be ‘enough scope’ for me. Again, in my inexperience, I’d rather use the reticle over doping in the scope if I can. This is just the way I shoot my .308’s. Same goes for choosing MOA subsensions over MRAD. I’ve used MOA based reticles on everything else I’ve owned, and would like to stay with it.

If my thoughts are off base, or if others have a different opinion on what route to go, please throw out some guidance.

I am a Forum User
    When you're ready to get your rifle, please reach out to me. I'll get you a fantastic deal.

Quote Originally Posted by GreaseMonkeySRT View Post
    When you're ready to get your rifle, please reach out to me. I'll get you a fantastic deal.
    I appreciate the offer!

I am a Forum User
    go big or go home...

I am a Forum User
    Don't mean to talk you out of anything, but it can be tough to find a place to shoot 50 BMG. Many ranges prohibit them. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by wrinkledshirt View Post
    Don't mean to talk you out of anything, but it can be tough to find a place to shoot 50 BMG. Many ranges prohibit them. Good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuel Fire Desire View Post
    My goals; to have a long range high energy rifle to be used in a casual non-competitive setting. Initial ranges desired will be within 600 yards, and eventually out to 1000 yards once skill level reaches that point. I do have the land to exercise the rifle’s abilities, and it will likely never see a public or club range.
    OOPs

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

Great idea! Something to contemplate. have you ever shot one? A straight bolt action or single shot really hurts to shoot in my experience. I will never try it again unless it has a recoil system of some sort. I am a big guy and shooting a 50 is out of the question.

Quote Originally Posted by oldmann1967 View Post
    Great idea! Something to contemplate. have you ever shot one? A straight bolt action or single shot really hurts to shoot in my experience. I will never try it again unless it has a recoil system of some sort. I am a big guy and shooting a 50 is out of the question.

I have not. I’ve never even been present when one was fired.

Recoil is a concern with a bolt gun, though from what write ups people have made about the M99 people have said its similar to a 3 1/2” magnum 12 gauge or a lightweight .30-06, and not as bad as a .300WM. Not the most comfortable, but nowhere near as abusive as a safari rifle or ultralight hunting rifle in a Magnum/ ultramag. My guess is that the muzzle device is a very effective one, at least from what the internet reviews say.

What model 50 have you shot? Was it an M99/95?

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Roundballer View Post
    OOPs
    My bad!

I had a Serbu .50 bolt action for a hot minute. Only fired a single shot with it. From prone. It was awesome. I would love the Barrett pictured above one day. Maybe next year.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast