Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

I can't post links yet! Forum User

Centerfire rifles in limited firearm zone for non-deer species

Hello everyone,

So I was reading through the 2019 hunting digest and noticed the excerpt:

Rifles in the Limited Firearm Deer Zone
    Centerfire or rimfire rifles may be used Dec. 1 – Nov. 9 in the Limited Firearm Deer Zone (see pg. 11) during the open season for all species, except deer, turkey, and migratory game birds. See current-year Fur Harvester Digest for nighttime furbearer regulation restrictions.

Does this mean that you can now use centerfire rifles on small game like squirrels, rabbits, etc.? I have a 204 Ruger for Varmint hunting that I'd like to use, but I want to be sure before I go out. Previously I thought centerfires could only be used in the LFZ if you were hunting coyotes at night on private land, and they had to be under .269 caliber.

I am a Forum User
    3rd holler on the right then up the road a piece.
    Quote Originally Posted by RemMag View Post
    Hello everyone,

So I was reading through the 2019 hunting digest and noticed the excerpt:

Rifles in the Limited Firearm Deer Zone
    Centerfire or rimfire rifles may be used Dec. 1 – Nov. 9 in the Limited Firearm Deer Zone (see pg. 11) during the open season for all species, except deer, turkey, and migratory game birds. See current-year Fur Harvester Digest for nighttime furbearer regulation restrictions.

Does this mean that you can now use centerfire rifles on small game like squirrels, rabbits, etc.? I have a 204 Ruger for Varmint hunting that I'd like to use, but I want to be sure before I go out. Previously I thought centerfires could only be used in the LFZ if you were hunting coyotes at night on private land, and they had to be under .269 caliber.
    Always could for as long as I can remember which goes back to about the 1960's. Hunt tree rats with a 30.06 if you want to.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgrider View Post
    Always could for as long as I can remember which goes back to about the 1960's. Hunt tree rats with a 30.06 if you want to.
    Wow... I can't believe I never knew this. Thank you!

I am a Forum User
    It wasn't publicized, emphasized or encouraged.
    But it WAS & IS legal.

I am a Forum User
    3rd holler on the right then up the road a piece.
    Yeah pure Michigan. You can shoot center fire rifles up in the trees for squirrels during small game season but during the firearm season for deer you can't shoot center fire rifles from a tree stand to the ground in Zone 3 go figure eh! who are the idiots that make these laws?

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgrider View Post
    Yeah pure Michigan. You can shoot center fire rifles up in the trees for squirrels during small game season but during the firearm season for deer you can't shoot center fire rifles from a tree stand to the ground in Zone 3 go figure eh! who are the idiots that make these laws?
    I still can't believe I never knew this. Now that I do, that's really dumb. I can't shoot a deer with a slow moving 30-30 or 45-70, but I can shoot my high velocity 204 Ruger at squirrels in a tree?

yup
    Pure Michigan

I am a Forum User
    No more stupid than the fact that you can use a T/C Encore or Contender in pistol form and put a 16" barrel on it in 444 Marlin, or 45/70 and legally use it in the LFZ, but as soon as you put a rifle stock on that same set up, it's no longer legal. It's because it's soooooo much more dangerous in rifle form than in a pistol configuration!