Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Kak flash can cleaning

Hey guys, first time creating a thread. (Mods please move if inappropriate location).

I have a quick question about how others clean the inside of their flash cans. I use hoppes cleaning solvent and it doesn't make a dent on the carbon buit up inside the flash can. Maybe 200 rounds through. I'm assuming a combination of more solvent/soaking, with the utilization of some brush or tool? Can't find a brush shaped for the inside of a flash can, and was hesitant on using my bronze bore brushes for fear of scratching the finish. Thoughts?

Thanks for the tips.

I am a Forum User
    Why do you want it squeaky clean? If it functions as designed, choot it!

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Quads View Post
    Why do you want it squeaky clean? If it functions as designed, choot it!
    I get it. Trust me I do. And I can't imagine any amount of buid up that would interfere with the functionality of the gun. Yes, it's more about looks. Especially since having built the gun, I know how clean and smooth the inside of the can was. It's also not very hidden and easily seen. Agreed its not very important. I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions or experience.

I am a Forum User
    Sonicate it briefly, then soak in something like Ballistol, CLP, acetone, mineral spirits, soapy water, etc. Then sonicate briefly again and you should be able to brush it all off.

Short of mechanical means (abrasives, Sonics) there is little that you can do about carbon. This is the reason behind the use of product’s like JB paste and Remingtons 40x cleaners
    Gun solvents barely touch it, as they are designed mostly to loosen ash and soot, or to cut through copper although there a couple newer ones such as “Carb Out” that are designed specific for that purpose alone. I’ve no experience with them -carbon removers- to make any claims on their effectiveness.
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

In Memoriam Forum User
    Do not use oven cleaner. It's very effective at removing carbon, BUT it will eat into the aluminum.

Banned
    Clean it? LOL

Why?

Cleaning suppressors is already silly. But a brake? LOLOLOL

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by midlandshooter View Post
    Clean it? LOL

Why?

I have to clean my Octane 9 because it is shared between a pistol and rifle host. When it gets shot with the fixed barrel mount the carbon buildup will prevent the piston from going back in when I want to switch it over to the pistols.

This is making me realize that I could solve all my problems by just ordering another can...

MGO Member
    Texaco Textron get a harbor freight sonic with a coupon

In Memoriam Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by midlandshooter View Post
    Clean it? LOL

Why?

With the Noveske Flaming Pig, KAK and similar clone forward blasting muzzle devices I've read it's important to keep them clean due to carbon buildup internally. The usual recommendation is to clean it every 500-1,000 rounds. If they're not cleaned regularly they become difficult if not almost impossible to disassemble. Articles have claimed the build up can begin to affect accuracy due to the bullet actually making contact with the carbon if it gets bad enough. Several years ago I actually saw a Noveske Flaming Pig that blew apart possibly due to carbon obstruction or metal fatigue. I've been searching the internet trying to find that picture but Noveske probably had it removed. They're typically a casting, not a machined piece of steel.

The picture is not the one that failed, it's just to show how it's made internally.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by VIGILANT; 11-01-2019 at 05:19 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast