Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MGO Board of Directors

HB 5190 of 2019 - Expand definition of firearms to include 3-D printed guns and prohibit manufacture, sale or possession

HB 5190 of 2019
    Weapons; firearms; definition of firearms; expand to include 3-D printed guns, and prohibit manufacture, sale, or possession. Amends sec. 224 of 1931 PA 328 (MCL 750.224).
    Last Action: 11/5/2019 bill electronically reproduced 11/05/2019
    Don't let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

MGO Board of Directors

This bill would make manufacture, sale OR possession of a 3-D printed firearm a felony offense, 5 years in prison and/or $2,500 fine.

Yet it is legal to otherwise manufacture your own firearm…?

This doesn't sound like a viable solution to anything!
    Don't let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

They have also included within the definition of "3-D printed firearm", "A component of a firearm created utilizing 3-D printing".

This is a real over reach by 10 misguided "Ds" (does that constitute a "gaggle"?) to address a non-existent problem with an overly restrictive law.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

I am a Forum User
    The aim of this is probably to stop your average person from 3-D printing themselves some guns/parts, which they shouldn't restrict anyway. What about long term though? Years down the road when technology has gotten better I have to imagine there will be major manufacturers who are going to 3-D print guns/components. Eventually it will probably just be a more efficient way of doing it. Imagine if Magpul decided to make a stock with a 3-D printer; you're a felon looking at 5 years because of HOW the stock was made.

Seems overly restrictive at the minimum right now, and incredibly short sighted. Hopefully it gets canned.

Good one for us to fight.

Legal Forum Contributor / Super Moderator Shyster's Avatar
    Absolutely unacceptable
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners. Any opinion I express on an issue should not be considered legal advice.

For those interested in establishing an NFA or Gun Trust click here. For my contact information click here. Follow me on Twitter @makowskilegal or my website www.makowskilegal.com

I am a Forum User
    So based off the wording, this wouldn't apply to 80% builds?

Or is "manufacture" all inclusive, with 3D printing being specifically addressed?

Also, isn't "manufacturing" by definition the act of producing with intentions to sell? So if I made anything on my own for personal use it would still be legal, correct?

I am a Forum User
    The way I am reading it is, "and prohibit manufacture, sale, or possession", so even if you made it yourself you are still in possession of it.

I am a Forum User
    Do I have this right?

Currently, if a person prohibited from possessing a firearm manufactures a firearm, they commit a felony as soon as they posses the finished product.

The new proposal will not change anything in regards to current prohibited persons. It will just make felons out of currently law abiding citizens.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by nmuskier View Post
    Do I have this right?

Currently, if a person prohibited from possessing a firearm manufactures a firearm, they commit a felony as soon as they posses the finished product.

The new proposal will not change anything in regards to current prohibited persons. It will just make felons out of currently law abiding citizens.
    Sounds about right to me. Are you implying that gun laws don't prevent criminal activity???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast