Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Don't overlook sporterized Mausers

I hate seeing military surplus guns being chopped up and sporterized as much as the next guy, but I figured I might as well spend my time enjoying them when I do see them instead of hating on them.

A little over a year ago I picked up a sporterized Gewher 98, still in 8mm, since it's still got the original barrel on it. The bolt was smooth as butter, and it had a hair 2 stage trigger on it because it was a Timney. Most importantly, the bore looked like it was brand new. It also had a Williams side scope mount with the rings that put the scope over top of the receiver, and the scope was a Twilight 2-6x scope.

The shop I got it from only wanted I think $180 for it if I remember correctly, since it is just a sporterized Mauser after all. But I could tell just by checking it out that it was a very well done sporter, done by someone who knew damn well what they were doing. So I snatched it, and since then the only thing I've done to it was free-float the barrel.

I haven't really sat down and did some serious accuracy testing with it until yesterday, but when I did........ Wow. The gun, made in 1916, that I picked up for less than $200, was shooting groups under 1" at 100 yards, and it would have been even better if I was a better shot and had a higher power scope. The ammo I was using was Sellier and Bellot (I don't know if I spelled it right) 196gr. soft point. Needless to say, I was impressed.

'Nuff said. The point I'm making is don't ignore these guns when you see them. At least look them over, check the functionality, and check the bore, and if everything checks out, throw some money out for it. I now have a tack driver that fires an awesome cartridge because I chose not to overlook something that a lot of other people do.

the mauser brothers designed the best gun, everything since has been a compromise for cost, speed etc.

I wish I could find a couple like the one you found, nice score. No sin since you didnt do it, if it was matching number original etc and the guy did it in the 90s or later he should feel bad.

If someone messed with it though in the 50s or 60s meh, can't blame, them, I heard you could get them for 12 bucks at the hardware store.

The ones I run into the lands and grooves might be pronounced but never looks good much less great the bore always has a decent amount of surface rust and or pitting, so I am afraid to buy them for the asking price these days.

I am a Forum User
    I picked up a K98 about a year and a half ago. Made in 1943 by J.P.Sauer and Sohn. It still has all it's markings. Unfortunately the barrel has been shortened about 2 inches and re-crowned. The sights have been changed to buck-horn sights. The original stock has been shortened and shaved down to within an inch of its life. I weighs about half that of an unmodified stock.

The bore is still beautiful, and it shoots nice tight groups.

I've debated on whether or not to find an unmodified stock to bring it somewhat closer to it's original form. Still debating.

The price was $175 otd. Modified or not it's still a piece of history. I couldn't pass it up.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtmcgirt76239 View Post
    the mauser brothers designed the best gun, everything since has been a compromise for cost, speed etc.

I wish I could find a couple like the one you found, nice score. No sin since you didnt do it, if it was matching number original etc and the guy did it in the 90s or later he should feel bad.

If someone messed with it though in the 50s or 60s meh, can't blame, them, I heard you could get them for 12 bucks at the hardware store.

The ones I run into the lands and grooves might be pronounced but never looks good much less great the bore always has a decent amount of surface rust and or pitting, so I am afraid to buy them for the asking price these days.
    I agree that the Mauser brothers have made one Hell of an action. I'm even convinced that I need a .450 Bushmaster on a Mauser '98 action.

I fell Hella lucky to have found the one I did. It'll stay with me for a while, that's for sure. If you do find one that at least has a good bore, I personally would try to pick it up for no more than $200, unless the gun over all is REAL nice. But if just the bore is nice, I think the rest of the gun could at least be worked on to smooth everything out (trigger, bolt). I agree that there's some crummy ones out there that certain shops ask way too much for, in fact I can name one off the top of my head.

My best advice is just keep looking and you'll find one. If I find any myself I'll post something in this thread about it so you know about it. Good luck!

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by ah1f39 View Post
    I picked up a K98 about a year and a half ago. Made in 1943 by J.P.Sauer and Sohn. It still has all it's markings. Unfortunately the barrel has been shortened about 2 inches and re-crowned. The sights have been changed to buck-horn sights. The original stock has been shortened and shaved down to within an inch of its life. I weighs about half that of an unmodified stock.

The bore is still beautiful, and it shoots nice tight groups.

I've debated on whether or not to find an unmodified stock to bring it somewhat closer to it's original form. Still debating.

The price was $175 otd. Modified or not it's still a piece of history. I couldn't pass it up.
    Nice find, I also still see them as pieces of history and look at the stamps from time to time. If I were you I'd go ahead and find an original stock like you said, so that way it at least still has the Kar98k look, maybe even throw an old vintage scope on it. Since it's already chopped up I see no harm in sporterizing it further. That's just my 2 cents though, whatever makes you happy. You only live once.

MGO Board of Directors

My father studied gunsmithing under Dick Williams, and under his (Dick's) watchful eye, sporterized a 1909 Argentine Mauser and rechambered it to .338 Win Mag.

I am quite happy to own that gun now.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by CyborgHunter View Post
    My father studied gunsmithing under Dick Williams, and under his (Dick's) watchful eye, sporterized a 1909 Argentine Mauser and rechambered it to .338 Win Mag.

I am quite happy to own that gun now.
    That honestly sounds amazing. I knew Mauser '98 actions were strong but not .338 Win Mag strong. I bet you've taken plenty of big game with it?

MGO Board of Directors

Quote Originally Posted by That one dude View Post
    That honestly sounds amazing. I knew Mauser '98 actions were strong but not .338 Win Mag strong. I bet you've taken plenty of big game with it?
    No, I have to admit that I have yet to take it hunting.
    I have had it to the range. It packs a 'ell of a kick!
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

Quote Originally Posted by That one dude View Post
    I agree that the Mauser brothers have made one Hell of an action. I'm even convinced that I need a .450 Bushmaster on a Mauser '98 action.

I fell Hella lucky to have found the one I did. It'll stay with me for a while, that's for sure. If you do find one that at least has a good bore, I personally would try to pick it up for no more than $200, unless the gun over all is REAL nice. But if just the bore is nice, I think the rest of the gun could at least be worked on to smooth everything out (trigger, bolt). I agree that there's some crummy ones out there that certain shops ask way too much for, in fact I can name one off the top of my head.

My best advice is just keep looking and you'll find one. If I find any myself I'll post something in this thread about it so you know about it. Good luck!
    I pretty much don't expect to run into one, kinda keeping an eye out for a jc higgins model 50 or 51, which is a FN commercial action.

Pretty reasonable priced, keep in good condition but used, I do not fuss over a little wear, or a scuff or two, no big deal to me. A rusty crusty bore really grinds my gears.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtmcgirt76239 View Post
    I pretty much don't expect to run into one, kinda keeping an eye out for a jc higgins model 50 or 51, which is a FN commercial action.

Pretty reasonable priced, keep in good condition but used, I do not fuss over a little wear, or a scuff or two, no big deal to me. A rusty crusty bore really grinds my gears.
    A crummy bore is always a deal breaker for me, unless they're asking next to nothing for it... At that point I figure it's at least worth the action.

I found a 1943 Tula ex-sniper Mosin at Cabelas the other day, and my first thought was "ok, sweet. I might pick it up and make it a sniper again". But I looked down the bore and it was so covered in rust that I couldn't even see the rifling. It was a damn shame

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast