Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I think the best deal in a Mauser, is the Israeli ones, converted to 308 Winchester. They left on, the old stocks, and triggers, but a new barrel, that has not seen much or no rounds through it, and not those 8mm ones, that had been feed corrosive ammo, and been sitting around in a warehouse for the last 80 years, that some look like a sewer pipe, inside them.

I’ve owned a few sporterized Nazi mausers. I unsporterized them as much as possible then moved them on to collectors who could appreciate non numbers matching guns. Most of them didn’t have import marks so I assume they probably were bring backs. I had a 43 Bnz I wish I had kept. Everything was near mint and original except the stock was cut down and I believe the top wood removed. But it was a stunner. Parts are getting scarce now so I believe many of these are being parted out as I don’t see them pop up for less than $300 ever anymore

Kind of crazy I guess, But I have always stopped to look at sporterized Milsurp rifles,... Mausers, Springfields, Enfields ETC,.. There was a time you could get them all day long for under $200. And some were extremely well done. However there are the heart breakers as well. A couple of years ago, I bought a masterfully sporterized Arisaka type 38 (and normally I never give Arisakas a second glance), It was an estate and the family didn't know much about it.
    When I bought it, they said you might as well take the ammunition for it as well,... They give me three boxes of 7x57 Mauser,... I said "This isn't the right ammunition for this rifle"... They told me this was the only rifle he had, And they insisted that was the ammo for the rifle. When I looked at the crest it said “Republica Mexicana”,... To be honest with you I never knew that there ever was a Mexican Type 38 Arisaka,... Chambered in 7x57, But there it was !
    So I was left with mixed feelings,.. It was way to far customized to be restored, But it would have been very rare and valuable had it been left alone. Mostly I just showed it to gun guys to see the look on they're faces, Until one day somebody wanted to give it a home. It was a very rare and collectible rifle, Destroyed by one of the finest sporterizing jobs I had ever seen.
    Last edited by Harms Way; 12-05-2021 at 09:21 PM.

I have bought a few 8x57 Mausers, Yugoslavian pattern. What I found with them is that if you need to do any gunsmithing, it is not a financially viable proposition compared to a modern rifle and it will never be as good as a modern rifle either.

Things usually needed:
    Bolt handle turned down
    Trigger work/replacement
    Fitting a scope base

I never found any smith in my local area who would do this work for less than the price of a used Savage 10/12/16 or 110/112/116. I can assure you that had I spent the money, the Savage would still be the superior rifle any day of the week...

One of the 2 Mausers I bought had a very corroded and pitted barrel from shooting corrosive ammo and not cleaning it immediately afterward. It was again not financially viable to replace the barrel, unless you had your own equipment to do the machining, even though at the time it was possible to get partially chambered barrels for the Yugo mausers.

In my opinion, keep them stock and shoot with iron sights or leave them alone unless you can do all the work yourself.

I am a Forum User
    I hunt with a sporterized Gew 98 in 30/06. The gun is a tack driver it has a timney trigger and vortex optics. I gave $239 for it at a local shop. I own many modern bolt guns and never use them. I always use this one, its my favorite. I refinished the stock and the blueing last year. Great gun!

I have purchased a few sporterized rifles before. My criteria though was to find such a weapon that I could return to it's previous glory. I always passed on guns that had had the barrels cut down, had third party front sights, that were drilled and tapped, were missing serialized parts such as butt plates or if the bores were sewer pipes. Surprisingly I found a few that only needed their stocks changed to original military stocks.
    Don't change them - leave them as they were...

I am a Forum User
    A young man at work inherited his Grandfathers Smith Corona 1903A3 and wanted to hunt with it . Of course to him that meant cut the stock down , drill and tap for a see through mount , shorten the barrel and add sights . It was explained to him that he could by a brand new factory sporter for less than what he was going to be charged (ripped off) for the conversion of a valuable rifle .

All of the reasoning in the world didn't stop him from chopping the rifle into a sporter that was worth less than a new factory rifle .

Jack

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12