Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    MGO Board of Directors

Baiting for Deer bill voted out of house

It's late and I don't remember the details exactly, but the Michigan House of Representatives voted (something like 57-49) to allow baiting for deer once again. It was a late night session and the last thing on the floor. It was not on the agenda.

Now the Senate must also pass it and then the Gov would need to sign it. These are two high hurdles that the bill has a slim chance of clearing.

The Republican controlled Senate may just vote for a popular bill, knowing that the Dem Gov will veto it.

Stay tuned but don't hold your breath
    Last edited by Jackam; 11-06-2019 at 08:21 AM.
    "But then there are plenty of gun folks who think no one should rock the boat because it might piss off the anti gun crowd/politicians and cause even more gun control." - Bikenut
    Submissive gun rights advocates need to lose their submissiveness before we lose our 2A rights.

I am a Forum User
    3rd holler on the right then up the road a piece.
    Bill to allow deer baiting during hunting season clears Michigan House committee

Michigan hunters could bait deer during hunting season again under legislation that cleared a House Committee Tuesday.

Ten days before firearm deer hunting season begins in Michigan, the House Government Operations Committee voted 3-2 to report legislation that would let people feed deer and elk unrestricted, and bait during regular hunting season.

The proposal is in response to regulations approved by the Natural Resources Commission for hunting seasons in an effort to curtail chronic wasting disease among deer populations.
    https://www.mlive.com/public-interes...committee.html

Michigan House votes to OK deer baiting during hunting season

The Michigan House approved legislation to let hunters bait deer during hunting season Tuesday - although the proposal likely won’t impact the current bans in place this year.

Ten days before firearm deer hunting season begins in Michigan, the House voted 57-49 on House Bill 4687, legislation that would let people feed deer and elk unrestricted and bait during regular hunting season.

The proposal is in response to baiting and feeding bans in the entire Lower Peninsula and parts of the Upper Peninsula approved by the Natural Resources Commission in an attempt to curtail chronic wasting disease among deer populations.
    https://www.mlive.com/public-interes...ng-season.html

MGO Member
    Only reason is to fill their pockets with money from tag sales...

I am a Forum User
    Why is everyone so upset about the baiting ban? There are many reasons to avoid concentrated sources of food.

MGO Board of Directors

Quote Originally Posted by Casualty View Post
    There are many reasons to avoid concentrated sources of food.
    Insert picture of me at Golden Corral Buffet here...
    "But then there are plenty of gun folks who think no one should rock the boat because it might piss off the anti gun crowd/politicians and cause even more gun control." - Bikenut
    Submissive gun rights advocates need to lose their submissiveness before we lose our 2A rights.

I am a Forum User
    Why is everyone so upset about the baiting ban? There are many reasons to avoid concentrated sources of food.
    ... like food plots? Fruit trees? Agriculture?

I am a Forum User
    Those examples are less concentrated than most bait piles, and they aren't persistent. While I'm skeptical, I asked because I'm interested in the opposing opinion, not to start an argument. Why are you upset about the baiting ban? (Making an assumption that you are, but based on your response, I doubt I'm wrong.)

I hunt in the lower part of the state, and deer are plentiful. Baiting would cost me money, and is unlikely to increase my chances to harvest a deer.

Those examples are less concentrated than most bait piles, and they aren't persistent. While I'm skeptical, I asked because I'm interested in the opposing opinion, not to start an argument. Why are you upset about the baiting ban? (Making an assumption that you are, but based on your response, I doubt I'm wrong.)

I hunt in the lower part of the state, and deer are plentiful. Baiting would cost me money, and is unlikely to increase my chances to harvest a deer.
    Then don't waste your money and don't bait deer. You hunt your way and I'll hunt my way. I think that pretty well sums it up.

MGO Board of Directors

Quote Originally Posted by pkuptruck View Post
    ... like food plots? Fruit trees? Agriculture?
    In my opinion, this not really about whether we agree, or disagree with baiting.
    This is about how game management rules are made.
    We thought that was decided when Proposal G was put into place by over 68% of Michigan voters in 1996 to allow the NRC, after collecting recommendations, to use science in decisions concerning fish and wildlife management.
    But now the legislature wants to make an end run around Proposal G.
    This is a bad precident.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

Quote Originally Posted by CyborgHunter View Post
    In my opinion, this not really about whether we agree, or disagree with baiting.
    This is about how game management rules are made.
    We thought that was decided when Proposal G was put into place by over 68% of Michigan voters in 1996 to allow the NRC, after collecting recommendations, to use science in decisions concerning fish and wildlife management.
    But now the legislature wants to make an end run around Proposal G.
    This is a bad precident.
    The precedent was set with dove hunting and wolves. The toothpaste is out of the tube.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast