Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MGO Board of Directors

MGO HAS "NO POSITION" ON HB 4687

Created: Thursday, November 7, 2019, Updated Friday, November 8, 2019

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

MICHIGAN GUN OWNERS (MGO) HAS NO POSITION ON HOUSE BILL 4687

It has come to our attention that Michigan Gun Owners (MGO) was stated as opposing House Bill 4687. House Bill 4687 addresses baiting of white tailed deer or elk. Michigan Gun Owners has NO official position regarding this bill since it does not deal with firearms.

MGO is an affiliate of MUCC. Some of MGO's Directors do have personal positions relating to HB 4687. However, to date, MGO has NOT formed any official position via a motion/vote of the Board of Directors. As such, MGO's official stance on HB 4687 is "No Position".

While there are valid reasons behind supporting or opposing HB 4687, none of them relate to MGO nor MGO's Mission Statement.

We hope this clears-up any confusion regarding MGO's official position as it relates to HB 4687.
    Last edited by PhotoTom; 11-08-2019 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Wording clarification
    Don't let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

Can you please explain?

Josh put on Facebook that MGO opposed the bill.

Are they now neutral or did they change their stance from opposed to neutral?

MGO Board of Directors

There was an informal, very brief discussion back in September about an email that MUCC sent to MGO. The wording of the letter was a bit confusing and never went anywhere official past an informal discussion amongst a few board members.

The board never formally voted and agreed on any position. Since this is a non-firearms related bill, it is unlikely that the board will vote to take a formal position on HB 4687.

I believe Josh H has posted or will post a clarification on this, as well.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

Quote Originally Posted by PhotoTom View Post
    There was an informal, very brief discussion back in September about an email that MUCC sent to MGO. The wording of the letter was a bit confusing and never went anywhere official past an informal discussion amongst a few board members.

The board never formally voted and agreed on any position. Since this is a non-firearms related bill, it is unlikely that the board will vote to take a formal position on HB 4687.

I believe Josh H has posted or will post a clarification on this, as well.
    I don't mean to keep pushing you, but I think it's imperative that a clear answer be put forth.

Josh wrote, and I quote...

"We oppose the bill based on the fact that politicians should not be dictating wildlife management. It's not that we are against baiting, it is we are against politicians in Lansing that have zero clue about WM telling those that specialize (sic) in WN what to do."

If the board never formally voted then,

1. Why did Josh speak for the organization and say that MGO opposes?
    2. Why did the legislative record have on record that MGO opposed the bill?

MGO Board of Directors

The press release is the official stance of the MGO BoD.

There were some misunderstandings and assumptions along the way, but the fact remains that MGO never formally established a “for” or “against” position on this bill, nor is it likely that we ever will since it does not relate to firearms.

MGO’s official stance has been and remains “neutral” or “no position”.

The legislative record will be corrected soon.

That answers the question about MGO, but I gotta be honest here, the lack of an answer on what Josh said is something I would expect out of Brady and MCRGO.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Jared1981 View Post
    That answers the question about MGO, but I gotta be honest here, the lack of an answer on what Josh said is something I would expect out of Brady and MCRGO.
    That would best be answered by Josh don't you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Tallbear View Post
    That would best be answered by Josh don't you think?
    Or anyone on the board don’t you think?

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Jared1981 View Post
    Or anyone on the board don’t you think?
    Based on what I saw... and I'm not anywhere inside on the inside baseball here, but from an outsiders' view... I think Josh got a bit confused as to what counts as a personal opinion and what counts as an official position of MGO.

You can't expect a relatively new volunteer to get it right 100% of the time. We are all human.

Quote Originally Posted by zigziggityzoo View Post
    Based on what I saw... and I'm not anywhere inside on the inside baseball here, but from an outsiders' view... I think Josh got a bit confused as to what counts as a personal opinion and what counts as an official position of MGO.

You can't expect a relatively new volunteer to get it right 100% of the time. We are all human.
    That is a perfectly acceptable answer, that’s all I was asking. But when people avoid the question and try to offline it, that’s cause for concern. Quite frankly that is nonsense that Brady and MCRGO does and I would like to think MGO is better than that.

Off-lining it is deceitful and insults my intelligence. But thank you for clarifying that, I really do appreciate it. No reasonable person is going to knock someone for making an honest mistake, especially when they are new at something.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast