It's funny I can see both "sides" of the core controversy ..
Do you buy (inexpensive) guns, to build the size (& variety) of your collection ?
Or do you buy (fewer) higher priced guns...(Going for quality over quantity) which ( will ? should ? may ?) increase in value, over time.
Or will become guns you'll never sell, because you appreciate the qualities found in the more expensive guns.

I think many (like, myself) do some of both.
I started out ( mid 70's) buying a few nicer pistols ( a Goldcup, S&W revolvers),
then bought a bunch of Taurus pistols..cheap (@ the time) reliable & accurate.. but not quite the quality found in S&W & Colt.

Sold all the Taurus revolvers, over time, kept a few auto loaders..bought more S&W revolvers..
actually got what I'd paid for the Taurus revolvers, maybe a few $ more, as they'd > in price.

Over the yrs. the Colt & S&W's have appreciated greatly in value..

Think not ? compare the price of a Colt 1911 or S&W revolver from the 70's & 80's. compared to today's prices.
yeah, I know "inflation".. but other guns from the same time period have not "inflated" in the same manner.
Check the used prices of older Colt pistols & S&W revolvers..many are higher than new pistols.

Can't say I've ever regretted any gun I've bought. Paid too much for some,
but have also bought many "used" guns @ bargain prices too ... it more than evens out.

As I gained shooting experience, the different between my less expensive firearms, &
higher priced, and higher quality ones, has become apparent.

If I purchased a top of the line Wilson, Brown, Baer, etc.. 1911..I could tell the difference, easily between it & a RIA 1911.

Only your finances, & desire for ownership, can determine which fits your needs better.
Which ends up being the factor that determines your purchases.