Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Thread: Chipped stock

I am a Forum User

Chipped stock

I have a henry 44 big boy ,the but stock has a chip about 3/4x1/2 inch right at the brass recoil plate. I have the chip and it fits perfectly, what would be the best glue to repair it?

I am a Forum User
    3rd holler on the right then up the road a piece.
    I used Larrys method-

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Excal View Post
    I have a henry 44 big boy ,the but stock has a chip about 3/4x1/2 inch right at the brass recoil plate. I have the chip and it fits perfectly, what would be the best glue to repair it?
    Keep in mind that the glue used in the above video expands and can make a mess. Further ones cured these urethane glues can ONLY be removed by sanding or scraping. A CA adhesive (super glue) may be a better choice or maybe even something like Titebond II. I've worked with urethane glues A LOT. Great stuff but it can also be a nightmare dealing with squeezeout.

Quote Originally Posted by Excal View Post
    Is it a clear coat or wood chip. Pics would be a big help.
    Teachers leave them kids alone
    Hey! teacher! leave us kids alone!

MGO Member
    I would be in the CA categorie,but be careful not to use to much.just IMO

I am a Forum User
    I would strongly recommend a type 2 (waterproof) wood glue like Titebond II.
    The repair will be stronger than the original stock.

Titebond. Make sure you can clamp it tight for an hour or two. I've used much Titebond in my woodworking.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by AxlMyk View Post
    Titebond. Make sure you can clamp it tight for an hour or two. I've used much Titebond in my woodworking.
    Yes clamp it tight!
    That would be the difference between failure and glorious success.

MGO Member
    All the oil must be removed before any attempt to glue cracks, or replacing a chip.

I can't post links yet! Forum User
    Titebond II is a good option because the glue does not fall apart when exposed to water. any squeeze-out can be cleaned up in 15-45 minutes while still tacky. The wood must be oil free and clamped. Wide rubber bands could work on a stock as clamps

CA glue works well when used sparingly. Very easy to use too much. To control the absorption, lightly coat the expose area on the stock and chip. That will harden the glue joint and fill the pores. A needle applicator and thin CA would be my suggestion.