Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I am a Forum User

AR Pistol excessive flash

Hello,

I have an AR pistol 10.5 barrel with A2 flash hider that is a safe queen. I never shoot it because its extremely loud and produces a ton of flash. I mainly shoot indoors and I hate when people are shooting short barrel rifles in the lane next to me. Are there any flash compensators you would recommend or would I be better off going with a suppressor? I like the idea of having a short barrel rifle or AR pistol for tight spaces but my current setup makes it not much fun to shoot.

I am a Forum User
    I read an article once about suppressors as flash hiders and the result was that they do reduce the flash some but not as well as a well-designed flash hider. More importantly you say that you like the idea of having a short-barrel rifle/AR pistol but if you add a decent can to one you'll have made it longer than a 16" carbine, defeating your original purpose.

That said, the suppressor would definitely fix the "extremely loud" complaint.

5.56 pistols have concussion and flash. No way around it outside of suppressing it.

BUT, you can redirect it.

This is my setup. I have a 7.5” 5.56 with a linear compensator. It’s essentially a megaphone that directs the blast, flash, and concussion down range. It reduces the blast SIGNIFICANTLY compared to others with A2 flash hiders. It’s a night and day difference. Not just from the shooters perspective, where it’s most noticed, but from bystanders as well. I shoot this indoors quite a bit, and it’s no more obnoxious than a Magnum caliber pistol. Still loud, still concussive, but not ‘clear your sinuses’ and ‘piss everyone off around you’ concussive.

The device I’m using is a proprietary unit made by PSA so I can use a standard carbine hand guard.

It’s interior is cone shaped to direct gasses forward instead of outward.

It nests nicely in my Magpul SL.

Here you can see what the device is doing to the gasses. It’s channelling them out and away from the shooter towards the target, instead of everywhere around the muzzle like a flash hider. From the shooters perspective, there is little flash seen over the bore.

As far as flash hiders go, the A2 is a very effective one, but there is simply too much unburned powder coming out of a pistol for it to fully do its job.

Different ammo will give you different amounts of flash as well. I find I get more consistent flash using M193 as compared to weaker steel cased wolf seen in the video below. Maybe 1 in 10 produce any flash at all. Hornady makes SBR specific defensive ammo with a flash inhibitor specifically for our applications.

https://youtu.be/5VN4iA9iJQQ
    Last edited by Fuel Fire Desire; 11-14-2019 at 04:03 PM.

My saint pistol isn’t too awfully bad, directs blast forward.
    Last edited by JDG; 11-16-2019 at 10:51 AM.
    Active airport shooter

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Parkanzky View Post
    I read an article once about suppressors as flash hiders and the result was that they do reduce the flash some but not as well as a well-designed flash hider.
    For sure. While there are some, most suppressors are not rated for short barreled 5.56 firearms. The unburnt powder that creates the fireball (past the muzzle) would batter the baffles of most cans. The primary job of a suppressor is to suppress noise, not act as a flash hider.

I am a Forum User
    Brain food first: (most of which still holds true however is a couple years old, and there's new product on the market that may compete with the tried and trued.)
    https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/ar...ider-shootout/

Input:
    I've been running the Yankee Hill Machine Phantom for years on several arfs. They work well.

As of late, the KAK was recommended to me which I've yet to tinker with at dusk or night, but it seems to do as advertised per the youtube and facebook operators.
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1019520691
    and the shorty
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/101952051

I am a Forum User
    I have a 7.5" barrel with a pws cqb or spikes barking spider.
    Expensive and big, it rids 90% of the flash and directs the noise. It doesn't reduce it.
    Tried a troy claymore, lots of flash, all noise forward.

Everything I've read, you wont find muzzle/brake that does both.
    Kak blast deflectors are ok, noeveske flaming pig has a baffle/ cone inside. Think of it as single chamber.
    So does the spider and pws cqb.