Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I am a Forum User
    3rd holler on the right then up the road a piece.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackam View Post
    I read the story. I found this interesting:
    "Currently, baiting is allowed in some Wisconsin counties, but not others. And in areas of southern Wisconsin, the CWD prevalence rate in adult bucks is upwards of 50 percent, and the deer that are affected are dying at twice to three times the rate of unaffected deer."

I can't imagine a 50-50 chance that the buck that I just shot has a disease that could (maybe) affect me if I eat it. My days of hunting for deer for food would be over.

I also found it interesting that the author asks if hunters are ready to start butchering their deer where they shot them and not transport the carcass. I would be fine with that but I am in the minority when it comes to someone else doing the dirty work. I think hunter numbers would dwindle for this reason too.
    At the same time, how many carcasses, if mandatory field butchering was the law, would be left on the ground in the woods for every other wild animal to scavenge? I can't believe that this would be a good thing.

There is no good answer to this baiting issue. Hunter numbers and deer health go hand in hand.
    Wi. is a cess pool for CWD ! None of the methods they currently use to control the spread of CWD work... at all!

Look at a CWD map and it will tell you that its game over there is no slowing CWD its natures way of population control.

Last edited by Hawgrider; 11-25-2019 at 09:23 AM. Reason: spelling edit

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackam View Post
    I read the story. I found this interesting:
    "Currently, baiting is allowed in some Wisconsin counties, but not others. And in areas of southern Wisconsin, the CWD prevalence rate in adult bucks is upwards of 50 percent, and the deer that are affected are dying at twice to three times the rate of unaffected deer."

I can't imagine a 50-50 chance that the buck that I just shot has a disease that could (maybe) affect me if I eat it. My days of hunting for deer for food would be over.

I also found it interesting that the author asks if hunters are ready to start butchering their deer where they shot them and not transport the carcass. I would be fine with that but I am in the minority when it comes to someone else doing the dirty work. I think hunter numbers would dwindle for this reason too.
    At the same time, how many carcasses, if mandatory field butchering was the law, would be left on the ground in the woods for every other wild animal to scavenge? I can't believe that this would be a good thing.

There is no good answer to this baiting issue. Hunter numbers and deer health go hand in hand.
    I hunt in Newaygo, but live in Ottawa. Not being able to bring a deer back to my house is a HUGE PIA and will likely greatly diminish my deer hunting activities.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgrider View Post
    Wi. is a cess pool for CWD ! None of the methods they currently use to control the spread of CWD work... at all!

Look at a CWD map and it will tell you that its game over there is no slowing CWD its natures way of population control.

Not sure how accurate that map is. there has only been 1 in the UP, that map shows more than a dozen.
    "dying ain't much of a living boy"

I am a Forum User
    3rd holler on the right then up the road a piece.
    Quote Originally Posted by josey wales View Post
    Not sure how accurate that map is. there has only been 1 in the UP, that map shows more than a dozen.
    You believe there is only one? Interested in a bridge I have for sale? Its 5 miles long.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawgrider View Post
    You believe there is only one? Interested in a bridge I have for sale? Its 5 miles long.
    I can't find any information on CWD on Isle Royale. Or Keweenaw county.

MGO Board of Directors

Quote Originally Posted by nmuskier View Post
    I can't find any information on CWD on Isle Royale. Or Keweenaw county.
    I was at the MUCC meeting with PhotoTom last Saturday. The DNR presented their most recent data. Tom reminded me that I had it - so here it is!
    cwd.jpg
    tb.jpg
    "But then there are plenty of gun folks who think no one should rock the boat because it might piss off the anti gun crowd/politicians and cause even more gun control." - Bikenut
    Submissive gun rights advocates need to lose their submissiveness before we lose our 2A rights.

I am a Forum User
    That is good news Jackam. That other, suspicious map showed far too many infections to be believable. Isle Royale and Calumet are pretty remote. Those were two spots I cherry picked from that map as highly unlikely.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12