Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 350 Legend???

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by coobie View Post
    At 61 years of age I would not call my 450 bushmaster Ruger scout bolt action BRUTAL shooting, little more ***** yes verses a 12 ga.My Ruger American ranch 350 cal. legend has less recoil for sure.
    Strangely enough the Ruger Ranch rifle I shot in 450BM had more of a hard shove than a kick. It wasn't bad at all whereas my AR in 450 had a severe kick. Don't know whether it was the recoil pad on the Ruger that made the diffence or something else. Like I said, in actual field use on a deer I never felt it. Heavy clothes and pumping adrenaline must have made a difference.
    No man made law physically prevents one from doing anything they have a mind to.

I am a Forum User
    It's going to be a great low recoil gun for all of us and also our young kids. The bullet bullistics are awesome and expect great results out to 200 yards.

It's pretty plain and simple for me - Both the 350 legend and 450 are great straight wall rounds for shots out to 200. The 450 I took a deer at 300 yards last week.

--
    Many forget and do not know that the H&R ultra slug 20 gauge also produces awesome results out to 200 yards with some experience and a range finder with hornady SST's

---
    My son does awesome with his CVA V2 - 44 magnum out to 100 yards.

--
    Knowing your gun and being confident is the key. Lots of us are successful with smooth bore shotguns with iron sights....cap lock muzzleloaders too...sky is the limit

I am a Forum User
    i bought one this year with the leupold 350 scope. i can attest to shot placement and the less recoil of the firearm. i shot a doe at 150 yards. it did stop her in her tracks. the bullet drop from this round is quite extreame thats why i used the scope for the bullet drop. io had a basic nikon 3x9 on there at first that i had laying around at first but i needed it to be accurate. the recoil isnt bad at all and my kids shoot it. the ammo is somewhat cheaper. target ammo at 145gr is about 10 bucks a box. the deer season xp ran me almost 25. i personally recomend it.

Quote Originally Posted by dcrpd View Post
    i bought one this year with the leupold 350 scope. i can attest to shot placement and the less recoil of the firearm. i shot a doe at 150 yards. it did stop her in her tracks. the bullet drop from this round is quite extreame thats why i used the scope for the bullet drop. io had a basic nikon 3x9 on there at first that i had laying around at first but i needed it to be accurate. the recoil isnt bad at all and my kids shoot it. the ammo is somewhat cheaper. target ammo at 145gr is about 10 bucks a box. the deer season xp ran me almost 25. i personally recomend it.
    does it drop more than the 450 ?

Quote Originally Posted by dirtmcgirt76239 View Post
    does it drop more than the 450 ?
    From Chuckhawks web site https://www.chuckhawks.com/compared_350_450_500.html

Here are the 100, MPBR (nearest five yard increment) and 250 yard trajectory figures in inches, for each load, sighted-in for a +/- 3 inch MPBR, computed for a scope mounted 1.5 inches over the bore. Trajectories are rounded to one decimal place; yardage is noted in parentheses. Results are in descending order of MPBR yardage.
    .450 Bushmaster, Hdy. 250 grain FTX: +3.0" (100), -2.8" (190), -13.7" (250)
    .350 Legend, Win. 180 grain PP: +2.9" (100), -3.0" (185), -15.7" (250)
    .500 Beowulf, Hdy. 300 grain FTX: +2.8" (100), -3.1" (175), -20.1" (250)
    The most significant thing about these numbers is that trajectory of all loads deteriorates quickly at ranges beyond 200 yards, with bullet drop at 250 yards roughly three to four times that at 200 yards, for all loads. This may be the only good reason for hunting regulations dictating short, straight wall cases with large caliber bullets. Bullets from the three cartridges being evaluated, fired at a target within 200 yards, will go to ground by the time they fly 300 yards or less downrange. This is a safety benefit, for it lessens the chance of an errant bullet striking a person or property somewhere far down range.
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

I am a Forum User
    Look up information on the .357 Maximum. Basically the same round. (it's a rimmed case) It's been around since ~1983 and has been killing deer ever since. I took a 10 point with it this year in a 10" Contender at 80 yards.

I am a Forum User
    When Walmart stocks 357 maximum I'll consider it.....

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tree rat View Post
    Look up information on the .357 Maximum. Basically the same round. (it's a rimmed case) It's been around since ~1983 and has been killing deer ever since. I took a 10 point with it this year in a 10" Contender atyards.
    While the Maximum was a good cartridge in it's relatively short run, it is pretty much obsolete. It's only available in some very expensive revolvers and single shots and uses pistol bullets. Ammo is scarce and must be handloaded.

The 350L is rimless, can be found in relatively inexpensive bolt guns, single shots and ARs. It uses rifle bullets and factory ammo is readily available and relatively inexpensive. Ballistically the 350L outshines the Max as well. I think it will become very popular.
    Last edited by Garymac; 12-27-2019 at 09:16 AM.
    No man made law physically prevents one from doing anything they have a mind to.

I am a Forum User
    I see many of you have completely missed the point. The OP was asking about ballistic results of the Legend on deer. The Maxi is damn near identical, just slightly weaker, but has been a reliable deer round for over 35 years. Pretty darn good comparison for someone trying to decide if the Legend is a good deer round.

Quote Originally Posted by Tree rat View Post
    I see many of you have completely missed the point. The OP was asking about ballistic results of the Legend on deer. The Maxi is damn near identical, just slightly weaker, but has been a reliable deer round for over 35 years. Pretty darn good comparison for someone trying to decide if the Legend is a good deer round.
    The Maxi is far less than 'near identical' in performance, but you are correct regarding it's efficacy as a deer slayer. The .357 Magnum is a very respectable deer round out of a 6" revolver. The Maxi has far superior performance and hits more like a .44 Magnum. With the Legend's performance step up from the Maxi, it should be an absolutely wonderful deer round, if the user does his/her part with shot placement.

I suspect your comment may have been misinterpreted as a sales pitch for the Maxi rather than a point from which to make a reasoned interpolation. But you HAVE succeeded in igniting more than a passing interest in me for a 357 Maximum. I'm going to have to find room for another pistol in the safe, I think.
    Life is too serious to take too seriously.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    Celebrate Recovery! Member & Group Coach

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12