Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 350 Legend???

I am a Forum User

350 Legend???

So after a week of firearm deer season how is the 350 legend doing? Have a good or bad experience to share? Im considering rolling the dice and I'm curious to hear some first hand experience.

The only story I have is my cousin shot one hell of a nice buck and it didn't take a step. This is a sample of one though.

There's nothing wrong with the cartridge, but the reason that buck didn't take a step is more because of the shot placement than the cartridge. I always shrug when someone says "My XXXXXXXX drops em' right where they stand" because a well placed shot with any rifle (even a rim fire .22) can do that.
    Lighten up Francis.

its maybe the best value for the price and performance you get in the shotgun zone.

What would you rather have ? The 450 beat it to market but might be more than you need, 350 is cheaper and will kill a deer clean no problem.

I have been leaning 350.

MGO Board of Directors

Thread trans-located from the firearm review section.
    "But then there are plenty of gun folks who think no one should rock the boat because it might piss off the anti gun crowd/politicians and cause even more gun control." - Bikenut
    Submissive gun rights advocates need to lose their submissiveness before we lose our 2A rights.

MGO Member
    I built a 450bm to hunt with this year. Took a nice doe opening day. When the 350L was introduced I ended buying an upper kit and am currently carrying it. I hunt in the regular rifle zone, I just like big heavy bullets on deer. Hoping to score again but haven't seen a thing the last five days.
    No man made law physically prevents one from doing anything they have a mind to.

MGO Member
    Got a nice doe last night with my 350L. About 65 yards using Federal 180gr Power Points. Neck shot and she was DRT.
    No man made law physically prevents one from doing anything they have a mind to.

I am a Forum User
    There are enough variables when you're trying to kill something that doesn't want to be killed that I'll take all the advantage on paper I can get. Placement may be the most important, but it's not the only item on the checklist

I saw a DRT shot 2 days ago that just caught the very front of the ribs and sternum but that was enough to grenade the lungs from just a tiny bit of exposure. It was a 450BM at close range shooting factory Hornady 250gr SSTs. A less powerful round or different bullet selection may or may not have made a big difference there. Flame suit on!

Now that might prove your point that placement is everything but what im getting at is the real world has a habit of eating up margin of error pretty damn quick.

To the OP, I've read enough, I'm diving into 350L. I hunt the quintessential south mi farm with shots as long as you care to take. I also have kids in my life now of various ages so starting to think about youth guns and hunts etc.
    Last edited by PaulB84; 11-26-2019 at 07:42 AM.

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulB84 View Post
    There are enough variables when you're trying to kill something that doesn't want to be killed that I'll take all the advantage on paper I can get. Placement may be the most important, but it's not the only item on the checklist

I saw a DRT shot 2 days ago that just caught the very front of the ribs and sternum but that was enough to grenade the lungs from just a tiny bit of exposure. It was a 450BM at close range shooting factory Hornady 250gr SSTs. A less powerful round or different bullet selection may or may not have made a big difference there. Flame suit on!

Now that might prove your point that placement is everything but what im getting at is the real world has a habit of eating up margin of error pretty damn quick.

To the OP, I've read enough, I'm diving into 350L. I hunt the quintessential south mi farm with shots as long as you care to take. I also have kids in my life now of various ages so starting to think about youth guns and hunts etc.

One thing about the 350 as opposed to the 450 is recoil. 350 is pretty light recoil (at least in an AR) while the 450 was brutal to shoot on the range, though I didn't feel a thing when I shot my first deer with it. I guess heavy clothes and adrenaline make a difference. It's just not fun to shoot on the range while the 350 is. Though not limited to kids/youth the 350 would make a pretty good starter (and finisher) rifle.

With ballistics similar to the old 35 Remington, the 350 is not just relegated to the limited rifle zone either. I used it and the 450 in the regular rifles zone in northern MI as I have with the 44 mag the last three years. Three one shot kills with the 44 mag (two in a Ruger carbine, one with Marlin lever) and then the two kills this year with the 450 and 350. The longest shot was 87 yards and the shortest was 65 yards so am by no means stretching the limits of any of those cartridges. I just like big heavy bullets on deer. Though I never had a problem with the 308 and 30-30 I used to carry. Just like something different.

If I was relegated to the limited rifle zone, I would pick the 350 hands down.

I am a Forum User
    I've hunted w the 450 for 3 seasons now and love it but you're absolutely right. Off the bench is no fun at all. Big part of the attraction to the 350 for me

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Garymac View Post
    One thing about the 350 as opposed to the 450 is recoil. 350 is pretty light recoil (at least in an AR) while the 450 was brutal to shoot on the range, though I didn't feel a thing when I shot my first deer with it. I guess heavy clothes and adrenaline make a difference. It's just not fun to shoot on the range while the 350 is. Though not limited to kids/youth the 350 would make a pretty good starter (and finisher) rifle.

With ballistics similar to the old 35 Remington, the 350 is not just relegated to the limited rifle zone either. I used it and the 450 in the regular rifles zone in northern MI as I have with the 44 mag the last three years. Three one shot kills with the 44 mag (two in a Ruger carbine, one with Marlin lever) and then the two kills this year with the 450 and 350. The longest shot was 87 yards and the shortest was 65 yards so am by no means stretching the limits of any of those cartridges. I just like big heavy bullets on deer. Though I never had a problem with the 308 and 30-30 I used to carry. Just like something different.

If I was relegated to the limited rifle zone, I would pick the 350 hands down.
    At 61 years of age I would not call my 450 bushmaster Ruger scout bolt action BRUTAL shooting, little more ***** verses a 12 ga.My Ruger American ranch 350 cal. legend has less recoil for sure.
    Last edited by coobie; 11-26-2019 at 06:21 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast