Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New-B Nausea

I am a Forum User

New-B Nausea

Ok, how do you get over the "ICK" factor when gutting an animal? Serious question, be nice. I've never hunted before, and wanted to start, except for the new-b nausea, as I call it.

Quote Originally Posted by Guns N Glory View Post
    Ok, how do you get over the "ICK" factor when gutting an animal? Serious question, be nice. I've never hunted before, and wanted to start, except for the new-b nausea, as I call it.
    Some people never get over it. The second they feel that warm gut or gush of blood it sets off a natural sick feeling.
    If you take it seriously and get someone to mentor you on the first one or two you get an understanding of how it all works and comes together.
    Good luck.

I understand your issue. But after probably field dressing close to 100 deer in my lifetime. The ICK factor may NEVER go away 100%. A couple years back I gut shot a buck with my crossbow at 4:00 in the afternoon and didn't recover him until 11:00 the next morning. ...and it was warmer than normal.

OMG-- it made me up-chuck.... but 90% of the meat was saved.. as was the mount.

Some reactions the mind has to smells can't be avoided. Just be brave.

MGO Board of Directors

Trustee

vaporub in your mustache?
    I don't hunt, but i did keep a little tiny tube of vaporub for when I had to try and figure out what went wrong with some dead research animals... some of those were quite fragrant.
    DISCLAIMER: Disclaimer. The opinions expressed in this post are those of the author, DrScaryGuy. They do not purport to reflect the opinions or views of MGO, its board of directors, or its members.

I am a Forum User
    Thanks. I'm 44 so Im probably stuck with it. I suppose if you start em young it's less likely to be a problem.

SW of Grand Rapids, surrounded by chickens, Detroit some weekends.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guns N Glory View Post
    Thanks. I'm 44 so Im probably stuck with it. I suppose if you start em young it's less likely to be a problem.
    Do you have kids?

My ick factor wasn’t high, but after dirty diapers, random projectile vomiting etc., it just isn’t an issue any longer.
    “Cui prodest?” Lucius Annaeus Seneca

MGO Member
    no cast Iron stomach here but when ya hunt it dont stop at the the pull of trigger or release of the arrow,just sayin...

MGO Member
    don't for get you have to eat the heart of the deer you just killed it is the spirt way of the hunter

I am a Forum User
    Apprentice for a weekend in a butcher shop or with someone who processes animals. You may never get over it, but you'll knock the edge off for your first field dressing.

I still get the heebie geebies when it comes time to get the butt out. Don't know why. Can do everything else, nearly with my eyes closed, but cut around the poop chute always gets me.

Some people *must* wear gloves when they gut an animal. Might be something that works for you as well.

MGO Member
    Eastpointe (formerly known as East Detroit)
    I've been hunting since I was 12...sometimes the warmth of gutting an animal on your hands ain't so bad when it's really cold...but the smell, that's a little hard to get used to.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast