Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Pay more to buy local and support a gun shop, or save money and buy online?

Pretty much as the title says.

I'm planning to remove my current scope from my AR and go back to a holo sight or a red dot (I don't think I'll ever add a magnifier to it, so the issue of a red dot getting magnified shouldn't be an issue.)

BUT, I checked CQT for the holo I might get (EOTech 512, my rifle came with one originally and I got greedy when they had their big recall and took the $$$) and was quoted ~$450. MidwayUSA has it for $399 w/free shipping.
    If I go red dot, I was thinking a Sig Romeo 5XDR, which, again, it looks like I can get cheaper online.

So, what do you think? Support a local gun store or save myself some money? I'd be buying this with proceeds from a home sale (sadly, no, not a lot, enough to cover the mortgage and get us some money,) so it's not like I'm running up a credit card or that I've been saving my bottles and cans for months to cover the cost of the optic...

Quote Originally Posted by jasona View Post

I'm planning to remove my current scope from my AR and go back to a holo sight or a red dot (I don't think I'll ever add a magnifier to it, so the issue of a red dot getting magnified shouldn't be an issue.)

BUT, I checked CQT for the holo I might get (EOTech 512, my rifle came with one originally and I got greedy when they had their big recall and took the $$$) and was quoted ~$450. MidwayUSA has it for $399 w/free shipping.
    If I go red dot, I was thinking a Sig Romeo 5XDR, which, again, it looks like I can get cheaper online.

So, what do you think? Support a local gun store or save myself some money? I'd be buying this with proceeds from a home sale (sadly, no, not a lot, enough to cover the mortgage and get us some money,) so it's not like I'm running up a credit card or that I've been saving my bottles and cans for months to cover the cost of the optic...
    EOTech 512 (EOTECH 512.A65) is 339$ on amazon -- there is also a 50$ rebate going on.. guess for over 100$ I go mail order.

I have to admit though personally I like my Vortex Spitfire 3x over a non-magnified red dot but I have my 60 year old eyes to deal with! But using the vortex zeroed@100m, I am banging 6" plate @ 200m offhand at 1rd per second no problem using xm193 ammo.
    Last edited by Mkc451; 11-27-2019 at 01:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jasona View Post

does CQT sell sig optics or order them from their supplier if you ask ?

Ask for a price, or if they price match etc. if you like to support local, some places will for sure order it, some others will price match.

MGO Member
    +1 on the Vortex Spitfire 3X. I love mine, both of them.

I’m a firm believer in supporting the local gun stores. I only order online if it’s not available through my LGS.

In Memoriam Forum User
    If my local gun shops have the item in stock, I'll often pay more especially if it's a firearm. I want to inspect the firearm and make sure it's not barked up or has a lousy trigger or ill fitting parts. I recent bought two S&W M&P EZ pistols and drove from Macomb twp to CJ's Hunting Shack, LLC in Almont to buy them where I actually paid less than on-line! Chuck Jacob (the owner) is a great guy and I'll support him when I can.
    Last edited by VIGILANT; 11-27-2019 at 02:17 PM.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtmcgirt76239 View Post
    does CQT sell sig optics or order them from their supplier if you ask ?

Ask for a price, or if they price match etc. if you like to support local, some places will for sure order it, some others will price match.
    Not sure if they carry the Sigs in-stock, as when I went in to inquire about the 512, they weren't on my radar as a possibility.

Definitely, though, I'll see if they price match, especially an online price (worst-case, they don't)

MGO Member
    Eastpointe (formerly known as East Detroit)
    Really depends on profit margin...I like to support my local LGS, and fondle the product, but if the markup is too much as compared to online...I'll purchase online.

MGO Board of Directors

Trustee

Quote Originally Posted by mudoven View Post
    Really depends on profit margin...I like to support my local LGS, and fondle the product, but if the markup is too much as compared to online...I'll purchase online.
    This
    They're paying for the store and staff. If I like both and find both to be useful, I just consider the extra price to be a service charge.
    However, if the in-store price is stupidly higher then online, I go online. I try to give the in-store folks a chance to lower their price. they don't always though.
    DISCLAIMER: Disclaimer. The opinions expressed in this post are those of the author, DrScaryGuy. They do not purport to reflect the opinions or views of MGO, its board of directors, or its members.

I prefer to support my local business owner as much as possible. Even if the cost is higher.
    Years ago I developed a relationship with Kris and Gene at Geno's Guns & Toys (now Wicked Trigger). That relationship spawned a lot of really good deals for me, and resulted in a lot of my friends being sent to talk to Gene.

Over half the substantial quantity of guns I own were sourced through Gene.

Geography and employment has conspired against me and I seldom make it to Waterford these days, but I still send friends to Gene.

I've cultivated a similar relationship with Recoil Firearms, and they are 10 minutes from my home. They account for a lot of the firearms currently residing at Palais du RifleGuy.

My health prevents me from doing a lot of vehicle repairs on my own. I've built a solid relationship with AutoTech in Dearborn. They treat my wife and daughter very well, and the many customers I've sent them have always been well cared for also.

I prefer the security and comfort of this type of relationship over a few dollars saved.

Most of the restaurants I frequent know me by name, and I have a great relationship with the waitstaff. My food is always well prepared, the owners stop by to chat and shake my hand, and the wait staff hug us as we leave.

Sure I buy stuff online, but I prefer to support my neighbors.
    Life is too serious to take too seriously.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    Celebrate Recovery! Member & Group Coach

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast