Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    MGO Board of Directors

Trustee

Quote Originally Posted by RifleGuy View Post
    Local Gun Shop Story

Wandered into Dearborn Outdoors the other day. Nice bunch of guys. Friendly, helpful, and only a bit of gentle up-selling.
    They had a Ruger 77/22 hanging on the wall. Some light cosmetic damage, nothing horrible, and nothing I cannot easily fix. Excellent price.

BUT... I still didn't have a driver's license of the new copy of my CPL. I had printed receipts from the transactions ordering the documents, I had expired documents, but nothing valid.

They put the rifle on lay-away for me, honored the advertised Black Friday pricing, and made me feel like I was a valued customer.

Picked the rifle up a few days later, and again experienced friendly, efficient, helpful service. THIS kind of customer care wins my loyalty every time.

The rifle is on the workbench right now, and should be fully revived by New Years Day. Something I have wanted for years, but didn't want to pay the price of new. Thanks Dearborn Outdoors!
    I went in there once.
    I wound up walking out with some parts i didn't need just because they were nice and gave me so much of their time.
    DISCLAIMER: Disclaimer. The opinions expressed in this post are those of the author, DrScaryGuy. They do not purport to reflect the opinions or views of MGO, its board of directors, or its members.

MGO Member
    About 20 yrs ago this came up big time.

I was buying Blazer 45 ammo at WM for just under $10. So I stopped at the LGS on the way to the range next time. Same Blazer $24.95.

Sinc I had 2 kids in college I stuck w/ WM.

I didnt even mention it to LGS since I was not a very often customer of theirs. Probably should have told him the whole story and see what he said. Im sure hed said "I pay more than that for it." Id said "buy more than 2 boxes at a time and see the price go down."

MGO Member
    Around here the LGS aren't even competitive with online.

There is a guy in Rose City that has as been around forever, still need to stop in and check his inventory.

One or two boxes wont make a difference in your local dealers prices, he needs to buy multiple pallets of ammo just to get the distributor to talk to him about cutting prices. The small guy is never going to be able to come near big box store pricing, close maybe during a sale, but never with everyday pricing.
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by langenc View Post
    Probably should have told him the whole story and see what he said. Im sure hed said "I pay more than that for it." Id said "buy more than 2 boxes at a time and see the price go down."
    The problem with that is that the LGS doesn't get the foot traffic to carry the kind of inventory they would need to buy in order to be able to match Walmart's prices. Beyond that, it would take a hell of a lot of capital to have that much ammo in inventory to get those kinds of prices.

I didnt even mention it to LGS since I was not a very often customer of theirs.
    You want the LGS to buy/carry more inventory so they can sell it to you for less, yet you readily admit that you don't shop there very often. That pretty much puts the LGS in a lose-lose situation.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Ol` Joe View Post
    The small guy is never going to be able to come near big box store pricing, close maybe during a sale, but never with everyday pricing.
    You got that right. And that doesn't just apply to ammo. I often see firearms listed for sale well below what my wholesale prices are. That's because larger outfits with much more foot traffic can take advantage of the "but 5 get 1 free" promotions from the wholesalers. Or better yet, strike deals with the manufacturers to buy hundreds or more of something and get it at a huge discount.

MGO Member
    WM doesnt sell ammo anymore

I am a Forum User
    .."Amazon set the standard. Easy to use. Stuff is easy to find. They have reviews. Returns are easy. Customer service is amazing. Shipping is fast. prices are usually better..."

I have noticed that most things I buy are selling for exactly the same on Amazon as @ other retail outlets..often priced @ the MSRP for the item.
    Amazon USED to have great prices..not so much anymore, in my experience. As an Amazon Prime member, I get free shipping for many items..that's about the only
    savings , over other online sellers.For firearms related items (scopes, mounts, triggers, grips, springs, etc..) my usual online retailers often have lower prices than Amazon.

Tracing my past orders, I'm able to see just home much prices have risen on Amazon.
    Example..a 30 # bag of the dog food we use jumped from $30.07 to $42.43, by the time the 1st bag was finished.

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by joepistol View Post
    .."Amazon set the standard. Easy to use. Stuff is easy to find. They have reviews. Returns are easy. Customer service is amazing. Shipping is fast. prices are usually better..."

I have noticed that most things I buy are selling for exactly the same on Amazon as @ other retail outlets..often priced @ the MSRP for the item.
    Amazon USED to have great prices..not so much anymore, in my experience. As an Amazon Prime member, I get free shipping for many items..that's about the only
    savings , over other online sellers.For firearms related items (scopes, mounts, triggers, grips, springs, etc..) my usual online retailers often have lower prices than Amazon.

Tracing my past orders, I'm able to see just home much prices have risen on Amazon.
    Example..a 30 # bag of the dog food we use jumped from $30.07 to $42.43, by the time the 1st bag was finished.
    I see your problem.

And I have the solution.

Her name isn't scrounge but comes to it the best.

Quote Originally Posted by langenc View Post
    About 20 yrs ago this came up big time.

I was buying Blazer 45 ammo at WM for just under $10. So I stopped at the LGS on the way to the range next time. Same Blazer $24.95.

Sinc I had 2 kids in college I stuck w/ WM.

I didnt even mention it to LGS since I was not a very often customer of theirs. Probably should have told him the whole story and see what he said. Im sure hed said "I pay more than that for it." Id said "buy more than 2 boxes at a time and see the price go down."
    Walmart has something like 200,000-250,000 unique items in the store.

They aren't doing it to be nice, they care etc.

You go to buy anything, they know their avg check out total is 70-80 bucks whatever it is.

People do not compare everything.

If you go to Walmart it's a half mile walk. 20 minute wait to get someone to unlock the ammo.

People are fine with that. If local shop owner is on them like a concierge people get upset.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast