Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MGO Member

Donating firearms and related items after death

Please don't chime in with I'll take them all/adopt me. I'm looking for serious options on what to do after I'm gone or incapacitated

I have a nice, modest little collection of quality firearms. I have some that I will give to loved ones but I don't want to shower a few people with all of them

My question is:
    Is there a organization that would take firearms/ammunition/accessories and get them into the hands of worthy people? Or sell them to whomever and use the money for a worthy cause?

The loved ones I know and trust are too busy with life and cannot devote the time and effort to sell off my collection. It's a disappointing reality...

I have the same problem with a very nice, modest, quality guitar and amplifier collection. Any ideas on that front?

I hope I don't go anytime soon and I enjoy it all, so I really don't care to sell it off now...but if I'm unfortunate enough to drop dead tomorrow, I'd like to leave specific instructions to my executor on what to do

I am a Forum User
    I'd probably start with your local or chosen gun or conservation club. There would be some up front setup, and then, god willing, when you stamp your dance card, the executor or representative of your estate would do the paperwork (RI-060, etc) and physical transfer.

Schools want your musical equipment.
    No paperwork needed.

I am a Forum User
    There are auction houses that do this exact thing. Contact them and get suggestions on how to prepare. Pick an auction house close by and one you feel will bring the most value to your estate. Use one that has online bidding for best results.

I plan to do the same thing. I hope to live long enough to hold one heck of an auction.

I am a Forum User
    I was going to ask if you belong to a Sportsman's or shooting club..?
    I'm sure any club could make good use of any donated firearms or equipment.
    My club has Jr. rifle & archery clubs..that have large memberships.
    Even donating stuff to your choice of club, & allowing them to sell the items & use the money raised for any program you select would be an option.
    Pretty sure any club would welcome your gift & allow you to set parameters on use or sale of donated items.

I am a Forum User
    You could direct surviving family that if there are any firearms that are unwanted to take them to "XXXXX gun shop" to be sold on consignment with funds returning to estate. A shop in my area profits $50 per gun. Reasonable if the family doesn't want to deal with the task or are unaware what they are worth. Since the buyer would be purchasing from a gun store it would be put back in someone's hands that appreciates said firearm.

I am a Forum User
    I'm sure you could donate them to MGO with instructions to use the proceeds for the legal fund.

MGO Board of Directors

Quote Originally Posted by Leader View Post
    I'm sure you could donate them to MGO with instructions to use the proceeds for the legal fund.
    Protecting 2A rights is always in vogue.

The trouble with certain donations though, is that handguns cannot be transferred to an organization. This really should change. If corporations can donate money to campaigns, then corporations should be able to own firearms.
    "But then there are plenty of gun folks who think no one should rock the boat because it might piss off the anti gun crowd/politicians and cause even more gun control." - Bikenut
    Submissive gun rights advocates need to lose their submissiveness before we lose our 2A rights.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackam View Post
    Protecting 2A rights is always in vogue.

The trouble with certain donations though, is that handguns cannot be transferred to an organization. This really should change. If corporations can donate money to campaigns, then corporations should be able to own firearms.
    I'm sure Jim or one of the other lawyers here could come up with a legal work around.

MGO Board of Directors

Quote Originally Posted by Leader View Post
    I'm sure Jim or one of the other lawyers here could come up with a legal work around.
    No, not really. Orgs are not allowed to own handguns. The handgun must be in an individual's name. Even the long guns are purchased by a BOD member and is theirs until hey give it up.
    I believe that the MGO Gun of The Year has been an issue in the past, simply because SOMEONE has to claim ownership. That person owns that firearm (either a long gun or a handgun) until it is given, by them, to the winner. A disgraced former BOD member even threatened to turn us into the ATF for a straw purchase because the firearm was purchased not for themselves, but for someone else! Gun clubs and gun ranges cannot own the firearms that their members use.
    This needs to change.
    "But then there are plenty of gun folks who think no one should rock the boat because it might piss off the anti gun crowd/politicians and cause even more gun control." - Bikenut
    Submissive gun rights advocates need to lose their submissiveness before we lose our 2A rights.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackam View Post
    No, not really. Orgs are not allowed to own handguns. The handgun must be in an individual's name. Even the long guns are purchased by a BOD member and is theirs until hey give it up.
    I believe that the MGO Gun of The Year has been an issue in the past, simply because SOMEONE has to claim ownership. That person owns that firearm (either a long gun or a handgun) until it is given, by them, to the winner. A disgraced former BOD member even threatened to turn us into the ATF for a straw purchase because the firearm was purchased not for themselves, but for someone else! Gun clubs and gun ranges cannot own the firearms that their members use.
    This needs to change.
    Could a hand gun be willed to MGO in care of a member FFL the same as selling on consignment?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast