Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

MGO Board of Directors

MICHIGAN GUN OWNERS (MGO) FILES SUIT AGAINST THE CITY OF EASTPOINTE FOR VIOLATION OF MICHIGAN’S PREEMPTION LAW

Michigan Gun Owners, a 501(c)(3) Michigan non-profit organization dedicated to protecting the rights of Michigan citizens, as enumerated in the Second Amendment and Article 1, Section 6 of the Michigan Constitution, filed suit against the City of Eastpointe today for violation of Michigan’s firearms preemption law.

Michigan law, 123.1102 states:
    A local unit of government shall not impose special taxation on, enact or enforce any ordinance or regulation pertaining to, or regulate in any other manner the ownership, registration, purchase, sale, transfer, transportation, or possession of pistols, other firearms, or pneumatic guns, ammunition for pistols or other firearms, or components of pistols or other firearms, except as otherwise provided by federal law or a law of this state.

The City of Eastpointe enacted a new ordinance (Ordinance 1178) in direct violation of state law on October 15, 2019, even after being directly cautioned beforehand by Michigan Gun Owners that doing so would be illegal.

Michigan Gun Owners reason for filing suit is simple. Michigan Gun Owners is staunchly DEFENDING Michigan’s preemption law protecting gun owners from local units of government creating a hodgepodge of restrictions for gun owners.

The intent of Michigan’s legislators was clear when this preemption law was enacted in 1991; it was intended to prevent individual municipalities from creating their own “law” that supersedes the uniform law of the State of Michigan where firearms are concerned.

As such, no matter what the “intent” of local units of government is, Michigan Gun Owners stands firm in their resolve to defend against violations of Michigan’s preemption law. This case is NOT about protecting irresponsible gun ownership and/or handling. This case is simply about defending Michigan’s firearms preemption law and affirming the authority of the Michigan Legislature as the only source of firearms law.

More information about Michigan Gun Owners can be found at www.migunowners.org. Donations for Michigan Gun Owners Legal Fund can be made at https://home.migunowners.org/donate/
    Don't let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

I am a Forum User
    i am so glad you did this, i called them out on facebook, but when i state laws and facts they stopped replying. its a money grab period.

I am a Forum User
    So what is EastPointe exactly doing?

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by dwcopple View Post
    Prosecuting people for reporting their gun stolen out of an unlocked car.

What I don't get is why would you admit it wasn't locked? I've gotten into many locked cars over the years and I've seen people so good at it that they could slim jim a car faster than I could open it with a key.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by dwcopple View Post
    Exactly this