Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

How young to teach children how to handle and shoot safely?

What age do you all feel is a good age to teach children how to handle and shoot firearms safely? Some children are more advanced than others and would be more astute than others at a given age, what ages do you see shooting in general?

I am a Forum User
    I started my kids around 8. In hindsight a little sooner would have been OK. So far, with me right there watching, they always do a chamber check whether it's an AKM or a revolver. We've got a solid foundation.

I've always gone with the maturity of the individual child. 4-8 with a BB gun, 6-10 with a 22, 10 - 14 with shotguns/pistols/larger bore rifles 14-16 is what I have seen in general of course there's always the kid that has to wait or begin early.
    My daughter didn't start until 10 with a 22, then took to my 1911 at age 12, she had to sit down and I was right their but she was 4'6" or so and 70lbs wet on a good day, it would rock her back to where I had to almost catch her. She had the biggest smile. Little did I know I wouldn't get my 1911 back until she turned 18 and had to get her, her own 1911 so I could shoot mine!

Never too young to teach the basics even if it starts with toy guns. For handling a real firearm, I would say about 5-7 and to start unloaded for going over the function. Then only loading one round for the first few shots to assess their ability to control.

I am a Forum User
    I started safety before my son could even speak. Anytime I do dry fire practice, I go over the 4 rules with him. With his rubber band guns and cap guns, we really go over safety. He fired his first 22 at 2 1/2, as I felt he could handle that, as long as I was there assisting him.

I don't think it's ever to young to start drilling safety, but when you let your kids shoot something for the first time is 100% up to how the parent feels about the kids ability to handle it.

I was a single dad (it’s not like you think, I know who the mother is), so From the beginning he could have no toy guns that look like real guns. The distinction from the beginning was real guns are not toys, but toys get treated like real guns in regards to flagging adults and trigger discipline.

HIS preference was to have guns traced and cut from wood. Easy to make and replace. The bad was I had to arm the neighborhood kids with wood guns as well. The good was all the kids were practicing muzzle and trigger discipline.

In general (for real firearms) you have to wait until the child has a sufficient attention span before you start any formal training in the use and handling.

It is accepted that ALL kids have that by the age of 10 (barring an actual A.D.D. condition). It is at that point they jump from elementary school, where they are in a single class room all day, to a middle school or Jr High where they are responsible to go to each consecutive class.

Now, all kids are different, and some will be ready a few years younger. That doesn't mean that it is unreasonable to start with the informal training much younger, but there needs to be constant direct supervision when actual firearms are present. The concept of having them treat their toys the same as if they were real is a good one.

One of the major issues that needs to be avoided is the "proud parent" that wants to believe that their kid is that much more advanced than the average child. At a very young age it is better for them to have a mind set and be able to recognize a firearm from a toy and "don't touch, walk away, tell an adult".

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

I am a Forum User
    Every kid is different. Every parent is different. What is right for you may not be right for someone else. The thing with all kids is they want to do what their parents are doing. So I don't think its ever to early to involve them.

MGO Board of Directors

I think I was 6 or 7 when I got my first BB gun for Christmas.
    I know I could read, because my dad handed me the "Ten rules of gun safety" (yes 10 back then) that came in the Daisy box, and said I could actually take possession of the gun when I had memorized them--forwards, backwards and out of order. I had them down, by the next day.
    In retrospect that seems good to me, though now I prefer the four rules.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

I grew up with guns in the house. Dad was teaching me to shoot when I was 6.

My daughter started at 6, and was a regular shooter by the time she was 8.
    Life is too serious to take too seriously.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    Celebrate Recovery! Member & Group Coach

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast