Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I am a Forum User
    It's good to see some some involved fathers mentoring their children here. Keep up the good work and thanks for your replies.

Our sons had a safety class while in the cub scouts with BB guns.
    What surprised my wife and I was our daughter, first born, is the hunter in the family. Got her first deer hunting alone with black powder.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a sleeping pill and laxative on the same night.

MGO Board of Directors

Quote Originally Posted by AxlMyk View Post
    What surprised my wife and I was our daughter, first born, is the hunter in the family. Got her first deer hunting alone with black powder.
    That is SO cool!
    "But then there are plenty of gun folks who think no one should rock the boat because it might piss off the anti gun crowd/politicians and cause even more gun control." - Bikenut
    Submissive gun rights advocates need to lose their submissiveness before we lose our 2A rights.

MGO Member
    I know some people in their 70s that are not old enough to handle firearms yet. Not much hope they will ever be.
    Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.

MGO Member
    My daughter is five and she's not ready.
    But she knows what a gun looks like and what to do if she finds one.

Quote Originally Posted by Sledhead View Post
    Airsoft? It's what I use to familiarize new shooters. Might be awesome for the young lady.
    Life is too serious to take too seriously.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    Celebrate Recovery! Member & Group Coach

Quote Originally Posted by Sledhead View Post

I think my son was 3 when he started shooting a bow, soon after a BB gun, at 5 he was shooting a .22lr, .223 and I built a miniature .50cal muzzleloader. He's now 12, he has taken several deer, rabbits, squirrels, ducks and one goose. In the spring, he will be starting his third year of shooting skeet, trap and sporting clays with the Scholastic Clay Target Program.

My daughter is 9, while she has had all of the safety training and "what to do (not do) if you find a gun", she hasn't expressed the interest that her brother did. She has shot a bow, BB gun and .22's. I haven't pressured her because I'm afraid of turning her off. We'll go at her pace, when she's ready, we'll advance. She is starting to talk about hunting more, in fact, we purchased a mentored youth hunting license this year in case she decided she'd like to shoot during our annual Turkey Day date in the the hunting blind.

The short version, it depends on the kid.

MGO Member
    Yes. I should of said not interested instead of not ready.

I am a Forum User
    Same age when you teach them about crossing the street.

I am a Forum User
    Me and all 7 of my siblings were introduced to firearms very young. We were going hunting with dad and grandpa around age 5-6, and I was allowed to rabbit hunt with my dad using his Remington 20ga at age 9. We all had pellet rifles and BB guns, and shooting the 22, .410, and 20ga was a weekly activity. I say the younger the better for introduction to firearms. The longer the have to learn, the deeper their respect for the sport and ownership will be.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast