Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I am a Forum User
    I got a few small nerf guns for my daughter to work with when she turned 5. They are OK, she learned with them but they are really hard to cock and she gets frustrated with not being able to do it herself. So when Gander 2.0 went belly up last summer I picked a few cheap airsoft pistols. They are knock off colt's, she can rack the slide but Holy hell they are inaccurate lol. This also caused a lot of frustration because she was aiming correctly but hitting like 15" high left from 15' away. I got a bit nicer 1911 knock off which is a good shooter and she's been practicing with that even though it's too big for her hands. She has a pink cricket .22 from when Gander 1.0 went under but we haven't got that far yet to shoot it. She will also get my wife's savage single shot target rifle from when she did junior small bore, hopefully she will be interested in doing it too. She still needs help and ask alot of questions but she's picking it up. Now I just need a decent backstop for those damn airsoft bb's so we can shoot inside.

I started my Son out at 8 years old.
    Active airport shooter

I am a Forum User
    Hi duck9191 ,

I shoot some air-soft in my basement, mainly draw & shoot, quick snap shoot, & weak hand things. (12-15 yards as a rule)

I made a pretty decent backstop from a large plastic storage box (about a 27 gallon or something like that).

I drilled 2 holes at the top on each side about 4" from the rear (box sitting open end forward & short side up & down).

Then I run a long wooden rod through those side holes & drape a long towel over the wooden rod (I end up with a towel hanging inside the box about 4" from rear wall of box).

Then I cut a rectangular hole in the cover just very slight smaller than my target is (I use computer printer paper with printed dots on it as my target).

I then tape the target over that rectangular hole then snap the cover on the storage box.

Air soft BB's go into the box through the paper target, hit the towel, loose inertia, then drop to the bottom of the storage box. (every now & then a BB will pop back out but not very often) most BB's drop to bottom so I just remove the cover then gather up & re-use the BB's.

Been doing this for years & works pretty good to keep the BB's from making a mess + also allows BB re-use.

I am a Forum User
    That's not a bad idea. I have some huge totes i got on clearance so maybe i'll sacrifice one to make a target stand. I have been using a large box with egg crate foam, it works but the 1911 will make it through the sides of the box occasionally if you hit it just right.

I would say my kids at age 8+ so far have been ready to learn to shoot. They've all been learning gun safety since before kindergarten, I honestly think that teaching that early and often is a good thing. I also don't go and hide in the basement somewhere when I'm cleaning my guns, so I often will use those times to reinforce gun safety rules, etc.

All that said, my oldest has not yet shown an interest in actually going shooting. My 8yo very recently has shown interest, so she may be the first to learn to shoot.

I am a Forum User
    I'm not exactly sure how old I was (10 or 11) when my father put a 20ga in my hands, but I will always remember the lesson. He put a pumpkin on top of a fence post and had me shoot it. Then he had me take a close up look at the results and said "That pumpkin can never be put back together again, and you can't call back the bullets once you have pulled the trigger. Always remember that whenever you have a gun in your hand." I did, I do.

Banned Forum User
    I don't think it's ever too young to start teaching safety, but the age you let your kid shoot for the first time is up to how you feel about your kid's ability to handle it.

I'm going with 8 though.

I am a Forum User
    I started teaching my son to quote the 3 basic rules of firearms safety and taught him to shoot a pistol at 9. Just like driving and sex, better to teach them at home before they learn from their friends.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123