Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

MGO Board of Directors

Smoke 'em if you got 'em!

Muzzle loading season begins Friday.

Is there anyone here that still hunts with a front-stuffer?

I know that the brass cases with the rifle primer, the compressed pyrodex type pellets, the scope, the break action rifles and such are accurate as all get out, but I really enjoy hunting with my open sighted black powder front-stuffed, percussion capped rifle that needs to be thumb-cocked.

I was in the same pop up blind as my son one year. He had not checked out his rifle as well as he should have. When the deer came ambling by, I deferred to watch him shoot it. He pulled back the hammer and squeezed the trigger. CLICK! We quickly changed percussion caps and he took aim again. CLICK! By now the deer was quartering away and we didn't have much time. I thumb-cocked ol' Thumper and clouded up the air. When the smoke cleared, I could see the deer laying where it once stood.
    I tease him to this day about that, offering to go with him whenever he heads out - just in case he needs some backup!

I hope to get out a bit. Where I hunt, during this late season, you either see no deer or twelve deer. It was rare that day to see a lone deer, but I'm glad we did. It was a memorable hunt.
    "But then there are plenty of gun folks who think no one should rock the boat because it might piss off the anti gun crowd/politicians and cause even more gun control." - Bikenut
    Submissive gun rights advocates need to lose their submissiveness before we lose our 2A rights.

MGO Member
    Sure do and patched round balls to boot,still shooting the CVA frontier carbine I bought 30+yrs ago,I switched to SS barrel 20 yrs ago and will not look back its been a good shooter with Iron sights,been trying out different sights latley for the 56 yr old eyes dont see as well as they did when it was first bought,but can still send that 170 grain ball in to a 4" circle at 60 yrds,what muzzle stuffin season is for

Cant do no worse then sunday eve,send a arrow over the back of a huge 10 pt.
    Last edited by bentstick; 12-03-2019 at 09:17 PM.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by bentstick View Post
    Sure do and patched round balls to boot,still shooting the CVA frontier carbine I bought 30+yrs ago,I switched to SS barrel 20 yrs ago and will not look back its been a good shooter with Iron sights,been trying out different sights latley for the 56 yr old eyes dont see as well as they did when it was first bought
    I'm right up there with you in age, and my eyes aren't good enough for open sights anymore. I had to laugh when I read your post, it will be 30yrs ago this Christmas when my new bride at the time gave me a CVA frontier carbine for a gift, it now hangs on the wall at the cabin as I have gone to the dark side and now use an inline with a scope. That old frontier carbine still looks as good as the day I received it and I have vowed I will pull it down some day and shoot it, even if it is just at paper.

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gman View Post
    I'm right up there with you in age, and my eyes aren't good enough for open sights anymore. I had to laugh when I read your post, it will be 30yrs ago this Christmas when my new bride at the time gave me a CVA frontier carbine for a gift, it now hangs on the wall at the cabin as I have gone to the dark side and now use an inline with a scope. That old frontier carbine still looks as good as the day I received it and I have vowed I will pull it down some day and shoot it, even if it is just at paper.
    They were cheap(price wise) but a damn good value in my mind,got me out of house and into the woods for xtra days if needed,many a decent buck as fell to it,after eluding me during rifle season