Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Final Glock Question How long will it last?

I plan on going to the local gun store on Saturday after work. Planning on getting a Glock 34 Gen 5 Then doing some modifications to it. Not doing much flared magwell, sights, grip, and slide serrations. I am curious on how long it will last in the long run. I always clean my guns after shooting them. Mainly this pistol is for home defense and competition. I’ve never owned a Glock pistol before and need some advice. Any suggestions?

I am a Forum User
    It'll outlast you probably.
    Why are you already thinking of doing mods to a gun you've never even shot? You might find out that you don't need to do anything.

SW of Grand Rapids, surrounded by chickens, Detroit some weekends.
    JohnS is correct, most glocks will never be worn out by their owners.
    “Cui prodest?” Lucius Annaeus Seneca

MGO Member
    Most guns of any sort will never be worn out by their owners.

Shoot the thing a bit before you go carving it up or changing it. Stock is going to be easier to resell if you decide you don't love it. And based on my experience with Glocks G2 to G5, it will need a trigger first before it needs anything else.

well you can shoot out the barrel to not be great but still accurate around 10,000 rds, you can shoot the rifling down to almost nothing and still do decent on a target at 15 yards no problem. To wear the gun out, 30,000 rds. Maybe more.

Its kinda a moot point because you will have to buy two barrels and be out 20,000 rds or 5k in ammo and two barrels at $150 each.

If you have that, buying new parts or new gun for $550 is nothing to worry about.

30,000 rds or more is not unrealistic either, I just went way lot to demonstrate worrying about wearing the gun out is not really a thing.

Springfield / warren tact 1911 with 65k down the pipe http://pistol-training.com/archives/8839

break down by each section pistol-training.com/archives/category/range-reports/springfield-1911-9mm

Rented a Gen 5 34 at the store and I liked it but the other version they had was a zev Glockat $1600. I already figured a trigger jobs and a few other things not much. I have a beretta 92G that has at least 3k or more rounds through it no problem. I’ve decided to go with a Glock because my friend let me try his custom Glock and it was great Until he told me how much he spent on it.

I am a Forum User
    I have a friend that is a Marine. He has a glock 17 GEN 1 with 30K through it.

I am a Forum User
    We've had 17s and 19s last several years in our rental program. That's many tens of thousands of rounds.

Great question- doubt anyone knows.
    My M9 in the Army probably had more through it than Stormy Daniels.
    Never keyholed and you could still see the remnants of rifling. And considering that as a MP, we shot our pistols a lot more than most other MOS's, and that I was at Ft Polk, aka the taint of America, we didn't get replacement barrels in often. I have to guess mine was north of 20k by the time I left. I would volunteer for every 9mm range that was being run just to shoot.
    For Glocks, I'd say you'll have a cracked frame before a burned out barrel. Not sure on the new Gen 5 'precision' barrels, but I doubt you lose any longevity in them either.
    This pretty much applies to almost all pistols. Only known maybe 5 people who have had to change out a barrel because they just wore them smooth. All were competitive shooters.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast