Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

What is your choice for nighttime coyotes?

Ok my sister is having some coyote issues... they are getting way to close to the house for her little dogs comfort. What is the best for coyotes at night? I have zero interest in the bow or crossbow options so I am down to a rimfire or buck shot...

I am leaning towards my 17hmr with the 20gr spire points. Also have a 22lr and a 12g.

MGO Board of Directors

I went muzzleloading for deer yesterday afternoon and brought along one of my game callers. I put it out at the beginning of the hunt and thought I'd wait til after deer shooting hours were over and then start it up for coyotes. How cool would it be to shoot a coyote with a .58 caliber roundball?!

As I was deer hunting, I thought about what I was planning on doing. I looked it up in the hunting digest and saw that maybe I was a little out of tolerance when it came to the laws on night-time hunting for coyotes. When sunset arrived, I uncapped my front stuffer and put it in the case. I then started the caller up, wishing that I had my 12 gauge or .223.

Nothing came in or sounded off. I waited for about 30 minutes, but without a firearm it seemed like hours!

If you think you'll have a close shot - use the shotgun. Beware of the buckshot size limit.
    "But then there are plenty of gun folks who think no one should rock the boat because it might piss off the anti gun crowd/politicians and cause even more gun control." - Bikenut
    Submissive gun rights advocates need to lose their submissiveness before we lose our 2A rights.

Quote Originally Posted by detroit25 View Post
    Ok my sister is having some coyote issues... they are getting way to close to the house for her little dogs comfort. What is the best for coyotes at night? I have zero interest in the bow or crossbow options so I am down to a rimfire or buck shot...

I am leaning towards my 17hmr with the 20gr spire points. Also have a 22lr and a 12g.
    In your case, 12g w/buckshot if you can get them close enough.. 22LR is a little weak IMNSHO ... 22 Mag would be nice. However if you need them out a bit, then the 17hmr, that would work inside of 100yds.

For me: I'd use my 17wsm -- and now that you can use a centerfire at night, nothing wrong with my 5.56 or .204 M77. Inside of 150yds, the 17wsm is great and mine shoots sub 1/2MOA out to 200yds.

I am a Forum User
    Do you have a source that centerfire is ok at night? If that’s true my post was a waste of time.

Do you have a source that centerfire is ok at night? If that’s true my post was a waste of time.
    Fur Harvester License
    A valid base license is needed to purchase a fur harvester license. The fur
    harvester license allows residents to hunt fox, opossum, skunk, weasel,
    bobcat, coyote, raccoon, and trap badger, bobcat, fisher, marten, fox,
    coyote, weasel, mink, raccoon, muskrat, beaver, otter, skunk, and opossum.
    Fur harvester license is available for purchase and valid from
    May 1, 2019 - April 20, 2020.
    • Youth 9 and younger may trap furbearers as licensed through the Mentored
    Youth Hunting Program (see pg. 2.
    • For fur harvesting seasons and regulations, please see the current-year Fur
    Harvester Digest. Digests are available at Michigan.gov/DNRDigests.
    Coyote Hunting At-A-Glance
    Licenses
    • Residents may HUNT coyote with a base license.
    EXCEPTION: Residents hunting coyote Nov. 10 - 14 must have a fur
    harvester license and are limited to the use of a .22 or smaller rimfire.
    • Residents trapping coyotes must have a fur harvester license.
    • Non-residents must have a fur harvester license to hunt or trap coyotes.
    • Coyotes doing or about to do damage to private property on private land may
    be taken by the owner or designee without a license year-round.
    Equipment
    • Centerfire rifles may be used to hunt coyotes during regular daytime hunting
    hours statewide.
    • Centerfire rifles or centerfire pistols .269 caliber or smaller MAY be used at
    night. EXCEPTION: Centerfire rifles and centerfire pistols may NOT be used
    in state park or recreation areas statewide, or on any public land in the
    Limited Firearms Deer Zone.
    • Electronic calls, mouth calls, or other types of game calls or predator calls
    may be used. Mechanical/ electronic decoys may be used.
    • Raised platforms (tree stands) may be used to hunt coyotes during daylight
    hours with a bow and arrow, crossbow, .22 or smaller rimfire, shotgun or
    centerfire rifle. Coyotes may NOT be hunted from a tree stand at night.
    For night time hunting regulations see the current year Furharvester digest.

I am a Forum User
    Thank you

All that to shoot a coyote. No wonder their numbers are coming up and the number of hunters is going down. SMH. Our game laws are all screwed up. It feels more like a revenue trap than game management.

I am a Forum User
    I will never understand the tree stand thing..... a centerfire fired for a tree stand towards the ground (in the dark) has a lot less chance of hitting something than one fired from the ground.

I am a Forum User
    I will never understand the tree stand thing..... a centerfire fired for a tree stand towards the ground (in the dark) has a lot less chance of hitting something than one fired from the ground.
    Politicians don't hunt?

I am a Forum User
    It's not about safety, it's about "fairness".
    Tree stands give the hunter an unfair advantage over the wild animals.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast