Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

View Poll Results: Would you agree to pay another $25 to hunt pheasants?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • I hunt pheasants on state land but would stop if it cost another $25

11 29.73%
  • I hunt pheasants on state land and would pay another $25

9 24.32%
  • I only hunt pheasants on private land and would support the $25 increase

4 10.81%
  • I only hunt pheasants on private land and would not support the $25 increase

13 35.14%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    MGO Board of Directors

What ever happened to the black ringed ones they were starting to release back in late 70 to early 80's? I think they were a bit smaller than the ones here now.
    Like and follow MGO on FaceBook
    https://www.facebook.com/migunowners.org

DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

Quote Originally Posted by matt11 View Post
    What ever happened to the black ringed ones they were starting to release back in late 70 to early 80's? I think they were a bit smaller than the ones here now.
    Actually it was '89, and there weren't that many released. Sichuan pheasants.

One of the problems with them is their natural reaction to danger. They just hunker down and freeze, the hawks and fox could just pick them off, hell they could sometimes be caught by hand.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

MGO Board of Directors

Quote Originally Posted by Roundballer View Post
    Actually it was '89, and there weren't that many released. Sichuan pheasants.
    I wonder what the cost was for THAT program!
    "But then there are plenty of gun folks who think no one should rock the boat because it might piss off the anti gun crowd/politicians and cause even more gun control." - Bikenut
    Submissive gun rights advocates need to lose their submissiveness before we lose our 2A rights.

MGO Member
    25 yrs ago a couple other guys and I hunted W of MP and we never chased up a rooster-hen once. That was over about 4 yrs hunting. Cover was fair, woodlots. Now all is fall plowed and woods are fewer.

I dont ever recall chasing up a rabbit.

I grew up hunting pheasant/rabbit N side of Toledo in the late 50s and that was best hunting anywhere. Sr year in HS I flushed probably 10 roosters opening day. Today that area is all subdivisions or strip mall--yuk.

Nope. Don't trust them with any more money. What happens if they fail to produce more pheasants? Do you get your money back? Does the new fee sunset?

When they produce a better quality hunt they can ask for more money. Instead, they want the money first and their actual performance won't be tied to the fees.
    Just me

Instructor: Basic Pistol, PPIH, PPOH, Hunter Safety
    NRA Life Member
    President of the Chippewa County Shooting Association

MGO Board of Directors

Quote Originally Posted by luckless View Post
    Nope. Don't trust them with any more money. What happens if they fail to produce more pheasants? Do you get your money back? Does the new fee sunset?

When they produce a better quality hunt they can ask for more money. Instead, they want the money first and their actual performance won't be tied to the fees.
    I don't think you understand. The DNR isn't producing pheasants. They are buying them from pheasant breeders all around Michigan. The Breeders release 60 or so roosters each week (that pheasant season is open) in eleven different State Game Area fields. The number of areas will be increased if they do a stamp.

I went out twice. Flushed 5 birds one trip and 4 the next. Different units. This was in December! I don't know how anyone could want for a better hunt.
    "But then there are plenty of gun folks who think no one should rock the boat because it might piss off the anti gun crowd/politicians and cause even more gun control." - Bikenut
    Submissive gun rights advocates need to lose their submissiveness before we lose our 2A rights.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by luckless View Post

This was going to be my exact point. Once the $$ leaves you're hand when you buy the tax stamp who knows what it will be spent on.

Here's an idea, why not just suspend the phesant hunting season until the #'s start coming back up? It may take 5 years or more but I'd love for the phesant hunting to be like it was even when I was a kid in the '80's.

MGO Board of Directors

Quote Originally Posted by wickettoby1 View Post

Here's an idea, why not just suspend the phesant hunting season until the #'s start coming back up? It may take 5 years or more but I'd love for the phesant hunting to be like it was even when I was a kid in the '80's.
    You think that the birds are over-hunted and by not hunting them, the numbers will increase in 5 years?

eh..... not so much.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackam View Post
    You think that the birds are over-hunted and by not hunting them, the numbers will increase in 5 years?

eh..... not so much.
    You can’t “over-hunt” what isn’t there!! And the 5 years statement was more of a prayer than actual timeline.

Last I knew releasing a bunch of roosters into a state game area to be hunted does about 0 good for the overall pheasant population in the state. Take that $$ and use it to release both roosters and hens into the wild to stimulate population growth.

Quote Originally Posted by wickettoby1 View Post
    Last I knew releasing a bunch of roosters into a state game area to be hunted does about 0 good for the overall pheasant population in the state. Take that $$ and use it to release both roosters and hens into the wild to stimulate population growth.
    That is not the way things work with the previous attempts to increase populations (without also increasing habitat). You artificially increase the prey species and nature tries to balance the equation caused by the extra food, the predators increase (for any given area). You now have a surplus of fox, yote and birds of prey. They keep the planted species from increasing, and they themselve die off until there is again a balance. You never get a grand surplus to hunt with the current methods.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast