Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Finally got my Browning Hi Power to rock n roll...

.....So Lately I was on the hunt for a Browning Hi Power.. It was always an interesting gun because of its classic heritage, but I never had time to research it, until my daughter and I started watching Black List and the gun started getting my attention. The Hi power Production stopped couple years back and the demanding prices on the remaining ones are insanely hi as if every single Browning is a collectable grade. I wanted the relatively second geb designs with the external extractor. After some search, I landed on a reasonably priced surplus sample from the late 80s early 90s, a MK III in particular with ambi safety and dovetailed sights.

I had possession from the FFL dealer about 3 weeks ago and I have been enjoying the little gun project I started. Thanks to you tube and parts from Cylinder and slides, I replaced the spur hammer with a non-biting hammer, lighter hammer and firing pin springs and heavier recoil spring. New Extractor spring, and removed the mag safety. I also installed a set of Novak sights with a fiber optic front sight.... AAAnnd, yes I stepped up my game and did some buffing and cold bluing of certain areas of the slide and frame.. It still maintains a lot of the classical look (except for the new hammer and the sights) but still they blend in nicely and do not clash out with the classical look, however, they add tons of functionality and usability to the gun with my aging eye sights and sensitivity against hammer bites.

I am pleased with the outcoming results, and I am on the hunt now for a classical wood grip to replace the MKIII plastic grips. It is not a competition gun, the trigger is still around 4.5 lbs. but it is much better and more crisp than it used to be. nuff talking, here are some pictures to the Hi Power Browning lovers out there.. With this I declare joining their club.

Last edited by JimSig; 12-24-2019 at 07:12 AM.

Nice looking pistol, I had many opportunities to pick one up for a decent price years ago and unfortunately let them slip by.

MarschalGrips out of Hungary has some nice grips for Common and not so common ( FEG PA-63 ) pistols.

http://marschalgrips.com/index.html

In Memoriam Forum User
    Nice find Jim!

Check these out:
    https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/473710

A fellow worker has a thing for Hi Powers and owns 3 or 4 and even carries one. We were shooting his carry gun yesterday at steels and as usual I start getting an itch for one every time I handle it. They are easy to shoot and accurate I don’t know why they never were more popular here in the states.
    You have a very nice piece.
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Ol` Joe View Post
    A fellow worker has a thing for Hi Powers and owns 3 or 4 and even carries one. We were shooting his carry gun yesterday at steels and as usual I start getting an itch for one every time I handle it. They are easy to shoot and accurate I don’t know why they never were more popular here in the states.
    You have a very nice piece.
    Joe, I think four things probably attributed to it not getting much popularity in the US, 1) is the hammer bite, 2) is mag disconnect and the grittiness it adds to the trigger feel during take uo, 3) the relatively heavy trigger ~ 6.5 lb, and 4) the fact that it was in 9mm.. now remember the last two attributes (6.5 lb trigger and the 9mm caliber) were benched marked against the most popular handgun in the US during that era the 1911 in 45 ACP. Still the 1911trigger system is one of the best (if not the best) triggers to tune due to the amazing mechanical design. The Hi power trigger mechanism is some how more complicated and has more moving parts picking up more friction from part to part interfaces. Plus the 9mm didn't have a chance to compete with the mighty 45 ACP back in the days due to several reasons.

Again, I am not trying to compete with this gun, but it will be a fun gun to shoot steel at the range from time to time..and would be a good exercise tool for trigger discipline.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWabbit View Post
    Nice looking pistol, I had many opportunities to pick one up for a decent price years ago and unfortunately let them slip by.

MarschalGrips out of Hungary has some nice grips for Common and not so common ( FEG PA-63 ) pistols.

http://marschalgrips.com/index.html
    Thanks for the link but I am looking for the hi power classical grips design..

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by VIGILANT View Post
    Nice find Jim!

Check these out:
    https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/473710
    Bingo, that's the design I want, but this color is a bit darker than what I had in mind:

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by JimSig View Post
    Bingo, that's the design I want, but this color is a bit darker than what I had in mind:

I am looking more into this color:

Quote Originally Posted by JimSig View Post
    Thanks for the link but I am looking for the hi power classical grips design..
    Ok, I can relate to that, here's a set on Amazon -
    https://www.amazon.com/warreplica-Ge.../dp/B00PHEKEMI

If you do have trouble finding the ones you want, I do know MarschalGrips will work with you both in style and color. It will be considered a special order so more money.
    Best of luck finding what you want!
    Last edited by TheWabbit; 12-23-2019 at 09:44 AM. Reason: Added comment

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWabbit View Post
    Ok, I can relate to that, here's a set on Amazon -
    https://www.amazon.com/warreplica-Ge.../dp/B00PHEKEMI

If you do have trouble finding the ones you want, I do know MarschalGrips will work with you both in style and color. It will be considered a special order so more money.
    Best of luck finding what you want!
    Thanks, that's close enough to what I have in mind and reasonably priced.. Looks like I have to modify the right panel slightly for the ambi safety as mine is a MKIII with an additional safety lever on the right hand side.. But that should not be a stopper.. Thanks for the link. Greatly appreciated.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast