Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by john.41 View Post
    You don't need to tell ME that. And my spelling came from the OP.

As usual....you need to do more reading and less typing.
    I didn't say anything about your spelling.

You are the one that pointed out that the destination was not announced, I simply pointed out that it didn't matter where the FFL was located.

As usual....you need to not take the points of the subject personally and/or grow some thicker skin.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

I am a Forum User
    Looks like a good thread to throw this one into the mix:

I've got a Benelli Super Black Eagle (12 gauge) that needs to go back to Benelli,in Maryland,for repair.
    I'm currently in Florida again,looking at real estate to buy,and will be here for another month or so.

The first question is what's the best way to ship it back to Benelli?
    ...And when I do, will I have any issue reclaiming possession, since I'm in Florida,but a Michigan resident?

I do not have the original box with me in Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokepole View Post

I've got a Benelli Super Black Eagle (12 gauge) that needs to go back to Benelli,in Maryland,for repair.
    I'm currently in Florida again,looking at real estate to buy,and will be here for another month or so.

...And when I do, will I have any issue reclaiming possession, since I'm in Florida,but a Michigan resident?

I would ask the manufacturer (Benelli) if they will provide a shipping label, most will. If not, since it is a long gun, I would just send it via USPS Priority Mail (cheapest option) or you can just use Fedex Ground/UPS Ground.

Since you are the owner and sending it to Benelli for gunsmithing/repair work, Benelli can send it right back to your door step without an FFL involved...one of the few instances that I know of in which a non-FFL holder can have a firearm sent to their doorstep, the other being the CMP sending you something.

I am a Forum User

If you are shipping it directly to them for repair, and they are returning it to you, they can ship it directly back to you as long as the S/N doesn't change.

If they swap a receiver or frame or otherwise change the serial number, it will have to go to an FFL for the transfer.

I believe we here at MGO are paying you to many dollars. We will be reviewing your pay plan immediately.
    Teachers leave them kids alone
    Hey! teacher! leave us kids alone!

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by castrotikon View Post
    I would ask the manufacturer (Benelli) if they will provide a shipping label, most will. If not, since it is a long gun, I would just send it via USPS Priority Mail (cheapest option) or you can just use Fedex Ground/UPS Ground.

Since you are the owner and sending it to Benelli for gunsmithing/repair work, Benelli can send it right back to your door step without an FFL involved...one of the few instances that I know of in which a non-FFL holder can have a firearm sent to their doorstep, the other being the CMP sending you something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoop View Post
    If you are shipping it directly to them for repair, and they are returning it to you, they can ship it directly back to you as long as the S/N doesn't change.

If they swap a receiver or frame or otherwise change the serial number, it will have to go to an FFL for the transfer.
    Good information from both of you, thanks much!
    I automatically "assumed" I couldn't take it to USPS,because in the past I've always used an FFL to do that.But fortunately,there's an allowance for long guns with ATF here.

I made a copy of the ATF article referenced above,and tomorrow I'll stop in a local USPS office to clarify about any further details,before taking the shotgun in to mail.

The bigger problem now is to get a box to accommodate the shotgun!
    Any ideas there?
    ...I have a plastic case for it, for when I'm traveling with it,but that alone isn't going to work,unless it too goes in a larger box for shipping.

I took it to an FFL in Daytona this morning,and they were ready to ship it for me,but when they asked for my Driver's license everything screeched to a halt because when it came back from Benelli to the LGS,they wouldn't be able to transfer it back to me because I'm a Michigan resident.

I thought that all changed a few years ago,for long guns at least?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJak View Post
    I believe we here at MGO are paying you to many dollars. We will be reviewing your pay plan immediately.
    But,but, I have tenure,and I was just up for a raise!
    ...Just don't cut the fringe benefits,cuz they ain't taxed!
    Yet!

I am a Forum User
    EDIT: I stand corrected. I've never had an out of state resident attempt to purchase a long gun from me.
    Last edited by Scoop; 06-24-2020 at 09:15 AM.

I took it to an FFL in Daytona this morning,and they were ready to ship it for me,but when they asked for my Driver's license everything screeched to a halt because when it came back from Benelli to the LGS,they wouldn't be able to transfer it back to me because I'm a Michigan resident.

I thought that all changed a few years ago,for long guns at least?
    If you had property here and there (but still kept your MI D/L), as long as you had some type of government issued document that confirmed your name and residence address in Florida (e.g., a tax bill, a utility bill from a government run agency, etc., even an electronic document from a government web site) - along with your MI DL/ID - then a Florida FFL could handle transfers no differently than if you were a full time FL resident. But I believe your earlier post said you were looking for property, so ...

Otherwise, no, an FFL can only transfer to a non-licensee who is a resident of the state the FFL is licensed, in.
    All of this is dependent on what FLAs laws say. We (Michiganders) can legally purchase a long arm in any State in the Union, by Michigan AND Federal law, provided that the other State doesn't prohibit it. Long arms are called out in the Federal law separately and residency is not required. A Pistol, or anything else, does require residency.

3.111 Rifles and shotguns; purchases by residents.

Sec. 1.
    Residents of this state may purchase rifles and shotguns in any state if they conform to the federal gun control act of 1968, Public Law 90-618, and the regulations issued under that act, as administered by the secretary of the treasury, and with the laws of the state in which the purchase is made.
    And the converse it true also, for long arm.
    3.112 Rifles and shotguns; purchases by nonresidents.

Sec. 2.
    Residents of another state may purchase rifles and shotguns in this state if they conform to the federal gun control act of 1968, Public Law 90-618, and the regulations issued under that act, as administered by the secretary of the treasury, and with the laws of the state in which the purchaser resides.
    Also: cfr 27 478.96
    Last edited by Roundballer; 06-23-2020 at 11:55 PM.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

I am a Forum User

Otherwise, no, an FFL can only transfer to a non-licensee who is a resident of the state the FFL is licensed, in.
    Incorrect. He's talking about a long gun. Only handguns and others require you to be a state resident. FL laws may differ.

I am a Forum User
    .... an FFL can only transfer to a non-licensee who is a resident of the state the FFL is licensed, in.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnS624 View Post
    Incorrect. He's talking about a long gun. Only handguns and others require you to be a state resident. FL laws may differ.
    Funny,somewhat that an FFL by definition is a FEDERAL license,yet can be further restricted by state laws,which I believe is the controlling issue with me.

The FFL I was dealing with in Daytona Beach repeatedly referenced recent school shooting incidents that caused Florida to further tighten their laws.
    ...Not that any of that would have prevented the shootings in the first place.

Too bad, because I'm getting ready to buy another gun that I don't need.
    An Ethos 28 gauge,for skeet and sporting clays.
    ...Getting bored hitting all of the "birds" with a 12 gauge!

At this point I'm going to stop in the USPS branch this morning and talk to them about direct shipping the shotgun back to Benelli for repair.

I also printed the ATF document that says a non licensee can ship back to the manufacturer for repair,and can then have the gun returned back to them.

Thanks for the information, gentlemen!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast