Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Carry gun caliber

I'm looking at getting an M&P Shield. Being a 1911 guy I am having a hard time getting a little pocket gun let alone a 9 and I keep waffling towards a .40. The more I look, the more logic says 9 is the way to go. It's just looking like the cost to feed it is so much cheaper for a 9. Yes, I can and do reload, but I don't expect this to eat a whole lot. Yet another factor towards 9.

Looking for opinions and thoughts on this. I know it's Ford/Chevy thing, but maybe someone will toss out a nugget that hadn't occurred to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tree rat View Post
    I'm looking at getting an M&P Shield. Being a 1911 guy I am having a hard time getting a little pocket gun let alone a 9 and I keep waffling towards a .40. The more I look, the more logic says 9 is the way to go. It's just looking like the cost to feed it is so much cheaper for a 9. Yes, I can and do reload, but I don't expect this to eat a whole lot. Yet another factor towards 9.

Looking for opinions and thoughts on this. I know it's Ford/Chevy thing, but maybe someone will toss out a nugget that hadn't occurred to me.
    At the risk of starting another caliber war, IMO there is no discernible advantage to the .40SW over a 9mm with good, modern defensive ammo. At one point there may have been, but ammo technology has come a long way and any minor advantage you might gain with the .40S&W is neglected by the additional capacity and mild recoil (i.e. faster followup) from a 9mm, particularly in a pocket pistol.

There is a reason there are so many police trade in .40S&W are on the market: because everyone is realizing the 9mm is a better OVERALL platform and they're switching to it.

I am a Forum User
    Been concealed carrying a Shield in 9mm for four years in an OWB Desantis holster. I love it and not one single issue in over 1500 rounds fired. Been carrying a Ruger SR9c a bit lately however. Its a bit bulkier. Go with the Shield with some Hornady Critical Defense loads. eric

Shot placement is always more important than caliber. The 9 in a pocket sized gun is not easy to shoot... the 40 is just than much more difficult to handle.

Hundreds of police agencies are moving to 9s and getting rid of their 40s for just that reason... and the fact that 9 MM ammo has improved so much over the years.

Lastly 9 mm will give you at least one more round than a 40.... maybe more.

I don't sweat it anymore. I'm keeping my 45s, but I mostly look at 9mm now, and have for a good 6-7 years. With new bullet tech, shooting top couple brands best hollow points from Speer, federal, Hornady, I would never feel outgunned.

All I really need is 8+1 9mm and I feel fine.

I would not get 40 either.

Get the nine, keep your existing 45s.

Quote Originally Posted by Tree rat View Post

I personally would avoid .40 too .. 9mm is there in power & cheaper to shoot.

That said, there are lots of options for 45acp in 3-3.6" barrel pistol. Shield, XD Mod2, Glock 30s then also ATI Titan, Kimber & Sig have small 1911 based firearms. Kar CW45, DE1911 ... so you don't have to dump .45acp ... Though I find the 45acp a brutal round in the small handguns, why I carry a 380 LCP Custom. Shoot it plenty on the range, pleasant to shoot anytime. I figure a better choice if it's something I enjoy & practice with a lot.

But plenty of 45's out there. 9mm is still the standard though. If you reload though ammo is not much of cost consideration. I reload 380 @ about 12 cents a round as my wife has 2 380 pistols and I have a couple too plus a 380 high point carbine I somehow ended up with. So I shoot quite a bit of it. 9mm can be gotten down there but it's only 16-17 cents purchased so I can't justify reloading it.

So many quality 9's though -- makes it pretty much a no brain'r if you are not going with a 45.
    Last edited by Mkc451; 12-26-2019 at 08:11 PM.

I am a Forum User
    I went from .45 1911 to 9mm XDS and never looked back or felt undergunned.

I am a Forum User
    Nothing wrong with a 40 if that is what you enjoy. I have been carrying a full frame .40 daily for may years and prefer that over all the other calibers.

Carry whatever caliber that you shoot best. I am one of the few that still carry 40(95% of the time) I shoot it very well, guns are usually cheap because nobody wants them, and ammo is plentiful. I have a few nines also that I may carry in the future, but for now my 40s get the most use.

MGO Member
    I used to carry .45 exclusively, but now only carry 9mm.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast