Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

I am a Forum User

A little overwhelmed

So, I’ve been doing some reading trying to figure out what route I should take, and I think I’m more confused than when I started.

I’m looking at adding a suppressor to my collection and also turning one of my existing ar’s into a sbr.
    Problem is, I’m not sure what’s the better option; filing as a individual or trust.

My scenario.
    I’m looking at a SilencerCo Hybrid 46. I’ve got a few 9mm pistols, 45 pistols and a 458 socom ar that I would be able to use it on. I will probably be purchasing a smaller caliber suppressor further down the road as well. I’ve also got an ar15 pistol lower that I have 3 different uppers for, that I wouldn’t mind turning into a sbr. I don’t lend out my guns/nobody shoots them while I’m not around. My wife does shoot them, but never without me.

What would suggest? Trust or individual. If I file as trust, I need to engrave the sbr correct? Do you have to as individual? With a trust, anybody that I have on it with me needs to fill out paperwork/fingerprints I assume. Do they need to do this each time I purchase another suppressor/build sbr? Once I build the ar pistol into a sbr, can it be turned back into a pistol?

I’d appreciate any input, and I’m sure I’ll have more questions. Just trying to get my ducks in a row before my money burns a hole in my pocket.

MGO Board of Directors

Trustee

Look at the one-shot trusts, which are ONLY for that one item - so there will be no need to get their prints and such for the next one you do, unless you want to have them on that one-shot trust when you file.
    And yes, you can de-register an SBR, but you you really don't need to.
    I would say to use a trust because you CAN do more and it's legal to "loan" by adding and removing people from the trust. Also, it would be unquestionably legal to leave your wife in the house with your guns if you have her on the trust too...
    DISCLAIMER: Disclaimer. The opinions expressed in this post are those of the author, DrScaryGuy. They do not purport to reflect the opinions or views of MGO, its board of directors, or its members.

I am a Forum User
    A trust streamlines things. Yes others have to submit all of the necessary infringement paperwork, but it does allow someone else to cover you if the oath breakers violate your rights more than they already have. Remember that with even misdemeanor charges against you or a ppo, you are guilty until proven innocent at your own expense. A trust also allows you to give your own property to your own family when you die.

You can keep your guns in any configuration you choose as long as you can restore the weapons to the conditions that are on the atf forms as they were approved.

Your information must be engraved in either case iirc. Whether individual or a trust.

Quote Originally Posted by Guns N Glory View Post
    A trust streamlines things. Yes others have to submit all of the necessary infringement paperwork, but it does allow someone else to cover you if the oath breakers violate your rights more than they already have. Remember that with even misdemeanor charges against you or a ppo, you are guilty until proven innocent at your own expense. A trust also allows you to give your own property to your own family when you die.

You can keep your guns in any configuration you choose as long as you can restore the weapons to the conditions that are on the atf forms as they were approved.

Your information must be engraved in either case iirc. Whether individual or a trust.
    This is where I always like to pipe in and add that you do not have to include your name in the name of your trust. The name of the trust does not have to include the word “trust”. So with a little thought, you can have something a whole lot cooler to engrave than your name with a trust.

MGO Member
    I would highly recommend Jim Makowski aka Shyster to do your trust.
    Washtenaw Sportsman's Club member
    NRA Certified RSO (Thanks MGO)
    NRA Member

MGO Member
    The advantages of an individual transfer are that there has been a recent trend in speedier approval.

If I was going to do a trust, I'd do a single shot trust as this really increases the liquidity of your NFA item. You can sell the trust instead of selling the item. No tax and no waiting time. (I'm not an attorney so take this with a grain of salt!).

In your situation, I'd form 1 an SBR and do purchase your can as an individual. The Kiosk at Silencer Shop (SS) has really made things easy. Full disclosure, I have a business relationship with SS.

Regarding an SBR'd AR, you can configure it however and whenever you want as far as barrel length AFTER ATF approval. There is no requirement to keep it at 11.5" for example. You can put a 4.5" .22 upper on it, 8" black out, and 10.5" 5.56. You can always swap it back to Title 1 format for traveling interstate if you don't want to submit a form 5320.20.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by jmacken37 View Post
    The advantages of an individual transfer are that there has been a recent trend in speedier approval.

If I was going to do a trust, I'd do a single shot trust as this really increases the liquidity of your NFA item. You can sell the trust instead of selling the item. No tax and no waiting time. (I'm not an attorney so take this with a grain of salt!).

In your situation, I'd form 1 an SBR and do purchase your can as an individual. The Kiosk at Silencer Shop (SS) has really made things easy. Full disclosure, I have a business relationship with SS.

Regarding an SBR'd AR, you can configure it however and whenever you want as far as barrel length AFTER ATF approval. There is no requirement to keep it at 11.5" for example. You can put a 4.5" .22 upper on it, 8" black out, and 10.5" 5.56. You can always swap it back to Title 1 format for traveling interstate if you don't want to submit a form 5320.20.
    That helps a lot!

Thanks everyone for the input.