Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

IDPA or similar practical tactical competitions in Marshall, Mi area

I have a freind in the Marshall, Mich area looking to get started in IDPA or similar practical tactical competitions. She is having troubles trying to locate a place to shoot and learn to compete and local gun stores have been sort of unhelpful. They suggested she get in a league but she isn't affiliated with a school, department or large company and couldn't figure out how to get involved with a league as a solo.

She is a long time shooter but new to competitions and would like to learn. I suggested Tri-county but that is a bit of a drive.

Anyone have any suggestions on where she can go or who to contact in the area?

I am a Forum User
    The two clubs that came to mind in that area are Tri County in Saline and Brooklyn gun club.
    In any case, the season is over now. But she can start by checking the schedules of both clubs and see when they offer IDPA training classes. If she is very interested, she can do her own reading of the IDPA rules and joint the clubs practice sessions when they are offered. I beleived Brooklyn shoot their practice sessions on Mondays afternoon and Tricounty on Tuesdays afternoon. Practice sessions are conducted as a mini IDPA match with 3 or 4 stages.

Also there are a number of good introductory youtube videos on IDPA, rules, recommended gear, etc..

One more thing, your friend should get a shooting partner to these events. It is more fun and they can help each other to advance the skills throughout matches by observing each other weaknesses and working on it together.

MGO Member
    I would also add Chelsea Rod n Gun. During the season they have action pistol shoots, which is an IDPA type format. I'm not sure how far Linden is from Marshall but they also have idpa in season.
    Washtenaw Sportsman's Club member
    NRA Certified RSO (Thanks MGO)
    NRA Member

I am a Forum User
    Dear Skunkworks:

I am in the Central Michigan Rifle and Pistol League and run a team out of Lansing Michigan.

we have two teams in Jackson, Michigan and we welcome new shooters with open arms.

The two teams are composed of smallbore position shooting team and a bullseye competitive pistol team. We have matches pretty much every week throughout the wintertime indoors, and would love to have you come check us out. We have a great time and welcome new teammates.

Shoot me a pm and I will forward you contact information, match locations, and what to expect if you are interested. As you can surmise, we have safety as a primary concern so there is a vetting process, not only for the league and the teams, but for you as well. You would not want to be competing next to a idiot that is unable to handle a loaded firearm safely and neither do we.

While I cannot speak for the Jackson team, I can say that they reach out to the newby shooters, and have developed a couple of pretty remarkable female competitors. What I can say is that the team I represent in Lansing, we have a number of female shooters including one of the most accomplished shooters in the nation. She really puts out the welcome mat to make sure our women shooters are welcome and appreciated.

Shoot me a pm for details, we got a spot on the line for you.

Regards,
    Crankster

I am a Forum User
    ACTS is a 2gun competition club that shoots at Centerline gun club in Bellevue just NW of Marshall. 2nd saturday of every month.