Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mittenman View Post
    There’s nothing wrong with having options and the price seems reasonable compared to an original but for me for certain classics Pythons, pre 64 model 70’s older Smiths ect; a big part of the appeal is the bygone era and just how state of the art or iconic they were in their own time. That’s all lost with reproductions and if I just want a nice shooter I can buy a Ruger.

I doubt they will be as quality as the originals. That they have simplified the action at least allows room for an anticipated repair while the originals were too complicaated for most to even approach after Colt quit making them

Last I heard there were 2 smiths, reportedly retired from Colt and living somewhere on the E Coast, who could restore the Pythons to the function for which they were originally built. Problem was that the wait time, esp after the one smith passed away, was over a year after the gun was submitted for repairs. (I often wondered if the smith passed away B-4 he got to your gun, how complicated it might have been to get the gun back!)

One of the really best Python people was Jerry Moran from Alma, MI who was first widely known for his work on the AutoMag. He could set the Python up as Colt intended for it to be but also make the single and double action hammer fall equal w/o destroying the timing. He has been gone for a long time. Trapper (Lynn Alexiou) was not in Moran's class.

Still, IMO, one of the finest 'thoroughbred' handguns ever made tho many would argue otherwise but if I wanted a .357 today, I would go with a 6" GP 100 and set it up to its own inherent potential.

Looks like the stable may be getting a new Pony soon.
    If you are better off than you were 4 years ago....................you are probably an ILLEGAL INVADER.

I am a Forum User
    I've never had a need for a .357, maybe now I'll consider one. Maybe a birthday present to me, or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie-Ray View Post
    I've never had a need for a .357, maybe now I'll consider one. Maybe a birthday present to me, or something.
    I don't understand this "need" thing of which you speak when referring to guns.
    Please explain.
    If you are better off than you were 4 years ago....................you are probably an ILLEGAL INVADER.

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeDee View Post

I doubt they will be as quality as the originals. That they have simplified the action at least allows room for an anticipated repair while the originals were too complicaated for most to even approach after Colt quit making them

Last I heard there were 2 smiths, reportedly retired from Colt and living somewhere on the E Coast, who could restore the Pythons to the function for which they were originally built. Problem was that the wait time, esp after the one smith passed away, was over a year after the gun was submitted for repairs. (I often wondered if the smith passed away B-4 he got to your gun, how complicated it might have been to get the gun back!)

One of the really best Python people was Jerry Moran from Alma, MI who was first widely known for his work on the AutoMag. He could set the Python up as Colt intended for it to be but also make the single and double action hammer fall equal w/o destroying the timing. He has been gone for a long time. Trapper (Lynn Alexiou) was not in Moran's class.

Still, IMO, one of the finest 'thoroughbred' handguns ever made tho many would argue otherwise but if I wanted a .357 today, I would go with a 6" GP 100 and set it up to its own inherent potential.
    I rather suspect the quality of the new guns will equal, or surpass, that of the originals. In terms of "shootability" and accuracy, they may even be superior. Where they will fall short, indeed WAY short, is in the finish. Those Royal Blue, or bright stainless finishes from Colt will probably never be seen again.
    "I'm good to go, even if I'm not going anywhere."

I am a Forum User
    While earlier Pythons were basically hand fit & assembled by 1 skilled Colt employee,
    the new guns are probably more CNC made & designed to fit tighter & shoot better.
    In 1 video I watched, the shooter (think it was Ken Hackathorn) said the new pistols are a clear improvement in trigger quality
    & he'd choose a new one over an old one ( as far as a shooter) every time, without any doubt.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom M View Post
    Those Royal Blue, or bright stainless finishes from Colt will probably never be seen again.
    Those finishes are still available from the Colt Custom Shop. I'm seriously contemplating getting a Government El Capitan right now with the bright stainless.

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnS624 View Post
    Those finishes are still available from the Colt Custom Shop. I'm seriously contemplating getting a Government El Capitan right now with the bright stainless.
    I should have specified "on the new revolvers". After thinking about it, though, they may very well offer a bright stainless version, but the Royal Blue is a thing of the past.
    Last edited by Tom M; 01-05-2020 at 09:42 AM.
    "I'm good to go, even if I'm not going anywhere."

Quote Originally Posted by joepistol View Post
    In 1 video I watched, the shooter (think it was Ken Hackathorn) said the new pistols are a clear improvement in trigger quality
    & he'd choose a new one over an old one ( as far as a shooter) every time, without any doubt.

Yes, Hackathorn said the old Python triggers "were crap" at about 4:42.

I think I'm going to wait. Colt brings back the Cobra. Then the new King Cobra. Next, they bring back this new Python. Logically, the Anaconda is next, right? I'd rather wait for an Anaconda in 45 Colt, personally.

The new Cobras are better than the originals, so the Pythions should be as well.
    More precise manufacturing makes them need less hand fitting to correct manufacturing flaws.

I will have have them in stock.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast