Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    I am a Forum User
    Was the demand for the original Pythons more to do with them being relatively rare and out of production than whether they were that much better than the competition? Just asking because they've never really done anything for me and when people couldn't get Pythons, the prices of Anacondas and the other snakes went up because people bought them as a substitute.

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coctailer View Post
    More precise manufacturing makes them need less hand fitting to correct manufacturing flaws.
    Or in other words.....cheaper to produce! Hold on to your minty Colt Royal Blue specimens, they are a thing of the past, and value will be increasing even faster.
    Stop The Robberies Enjoy Safe Streets / You can't argue with slaves that don't know they're shackled.

I am a Forum User
    My guess is Colt wont be able to build enough of these.

Quote Originally Posted by Imshootin View Post

Looks like the stable may be getting a new Pony soon.
    Very educational video, thank you!

A new pyton will be in my stable next to other classic colt DA revolvers. I'm holding out for a blued 3" but if 4.25" is all that avaiable so be it.

Quote Originally Posted by john.41 View Post
    Or in other words.....cheaper to produce! Hold on to your minty Colt Royal Blue specimens, they are a thing of the past, and value will be increasing even faster.
    The steel itself will be nowhere near as good. Rarely are modern firearms as good substance wise as teh older, incl Smith, etc. IMO

Many may dsagree f course

Quote Originally Posted by john.41 View Post
    Yep, Making things more precise right from the get-go is always cheaper than going back over a product to spend a bunch of time getting it to fit together.

Much like modern cars.
    In the 1970s, cars had about a 100,000 mile life span.
    Now its normal to see 3-4 times that in modern cars. You rarely see modern vehicles broken on the side of the road also.

They will be a much better revolver than the old ones.
    Collectors will enjoy a surge in value of their old ones also because of renewed interest in the model.

Quote Originally Posted by PeeDee View Post
    The steel itself will be nowhere near as good. Rarely are modern firearms as good substance wise as teh older, incl Smith, etc. IMO

Do you have info as to which steel they switched to?
    I didn't see that

Quote Originally Posted by PeeDee View Post

That must be why we see much smaller guns being able to shoot more powerful ammunition these days.
    If you are better off than you were 4 years ago....................you are probably an ILLEGAL INVADER.

Quote Originally Posted by HemiChallenger View Post
    My guess is Colt wont be able to build enough of these.

Very educational video, thank you!

A new pyton will be in my stable next to other classic colt DA revolvers. I'm holding out for a blued 3" but if 4.25" is all that avaiable so be it.
    I'll be doing a 6". I've got enough 4" .357's already. Plus that 6" just looks so sweet.

Name:  Colt New Python 6 inch.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  93.7 KB
    If you are better off than you were 4 years ago....................you are probably an ILLEGAL INVADER.

Quote Originally Posted by Coctailer View Post
    Do you have info as to which steel they switched to?
    I didn't see that
    You didn't look for it either.

Quote Originally Posted by Imshootin View Post
    That must be why we see much smaller guns being able to shoot more powerful ammunition these days.

I doubt that very much. But even if they could shoot the same 'power of ammunition' don't bet on how long they would hold up.

Or why S&W revolvers have been known to have their barrels fly downrange because of lack of 'thread compound' or thread fitment of barrel to frame; or some Rugers over squeezing the frame to barrel tenon creating a 'venturi effect' where the bullet is resized when enterings the forcing cone.

We haven't made steel in the USA to the quality of the pre 70's for a long time. It's much like saying the current 'Cadillac' is a Cadillac in the same vein that pre-80's 'Cadillac' was a Cadillac.

Buying your 'new' Python is like buying a 'new' Cadillac - you get an ersatz body, frame etc. that could well fit any GM SUV / kit, but you DO get that special, special 'hood ornament' to separate you from the other plastic-imbued 'luxury' cars.

Sometimes the geometry of the machine has as much to do with the integrity of the entire machine as the sum of its parts, but that effect never goes as far as the quality of each part.

The only 'new' Python out there, is an original unfired umolested Python in the box.

(But I admit, they still look like a Python - elegant, purposeful and a cut above all other revolvers IMO: and I wish I still had my 2 blue ones from the early 70's )

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast