Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Twisted Industries LC380 22lr conversion

First time at the range with my new Twisted Industries Ruger LC380 22lr conversion kit yesterday. Recommended ammo is CCI 36gr.

First mag of 10 rounds ran fine.

Second mag had a light primer strike.

Third mag had a light primer strike.

Fourth mag had the round miss the feed ramp and jam.

The next 6 mags had a mix of the same problems so I changed ammo to CCI 40gr. Several mags and same result. Next came some Federal Champion. Several mags and same result so I packed up and went home. Didn't see any oddities during cleaning but did give the firing pin channel a good flushing and paid special attention to the magazine also.

I will give it another try as soon as I can get to the range again. Gotta go soon and also try out the Ruger LCPII 22lr I bought today.
    I'm glad I'm old and won't have to live very long under the tyranny that has begun.

A bit of a rambling Update:

Went to the range today with the Twisted Industries LC380 22 conversion and it had 6 or 7 failure to fire out of each of 3 magazines of CCI 36gr Mini Mags before I gave up. Came home and while cleaning/inspecting I noticed the firing pin would sometimes get stuck. I removed the retaining set screw, dropped everything out, cleaned it all up, and had a terrible time getting everything to line up for reassembly. Finally got it and discovered the set screw doesn't have a stop so it can be tightened until it jams the firing pin. Now I need to go back to the range and see if leaving the set screw a little looser than before has any effect.

Took the LCPII 22 along and it ran perfect through several magazines of CCI 36gr Mini Mags. It didn't like Federal Champion or CCI Velociters much. I will need to run at least another 100 rounds before using it for a pocket or ankle gun.

Took my G26 Advantage Arms 22 conversion along and it ran perfect with CCI Velociters.

At this point I like the LCPII 22 and am happy with the Advantage Arms G26 22 conversion. The Twisted Industries LC380 22 conversion? Not so much so far.
    I'm glad I'm old and won't have to live very long under the tyranny that has begun.

I am a Forum User
    Excellent write up.
    Thank you so much for the effort!

Joe

I am a Forum User
    I, for one, find you review useful.

Joe

Update:

January 5th 2020
    Went to the range today with the Twisted Industries LC380 22 conversion and it would not fire any rounds what so ever. Just got firing pin strikes on the very edge of the cartridges. I suspect this problem is a firing pin issue. Letter sent to Twisted Industries.

Name:  CCI + Fed Champ.jpg
Views: 438
Size:  80.9 KB

Ok... while waiting for a response from Twisted Industries ...

LCPII 22 at the range today...
    Ran..
    -50 rounds Federal Champion 36gr HP from their bulk 525 Value Pack. Gun ran perfect with no problems at all.
    -50 rounds Federal 40gr LRN Match Target from their 325 bulk box. Had 2 FTFire and 1 FTE with empty case stuck in middle of ejection.
    -50 rounds CCI 36gr Mini Mag. Had 3 FTLoad because the slide stuck back on the slide stop. Releasing the slide put the gun back in action.
    -50 rounds CCI 40gr RN. Had 1 FTFire.
    Then out of curiosity I ran another 20 rounds of the Federal 36gr HP and again the gun ran perfect on the bulk stuff.
    I tried running the rounds that had failed to fire through again but despite having multiple firing pin strikes in different places the rounds would not fire.
    Didn't have any Velocitors today.

It appears the gun needed a good cleaning and a bit of a break in period. I now have approximately 400 rounds through the gun and it is behaving like any other .22lr by being very reliable with ammo it likes (Velocitors and Federal Champion) and acceptable (for a range gun) performance with the ammo it doesn't like.

No response from Twisted Industries yet so here is a LCPII 22 range update:

100 rounds of CCI 36gr Mini Mag
    1 slide locked back. Releasing the slide put the gun back in action.
    1 unintentional activation of the safety while racking. Admittedly my fault.
    2 Failure to fire. Subsequent attempts to get those rounds to fire failed even though firing pin strikes were in different places. That makes a 2% failure rate. Add in the slide locking back by itself and it would be a 3% failure rate. Add in the easy to mess up with safety and it becomes a 4% failure rate.

150 rounds Federal Champion 36gr bulk
    5 dud rounds. Subsequent attempts to get those rounds to fire failed even though firing pin strikes were in different places. That makes a 3.3% failure rate.

This makes more than 600 rounds through the gun so I'd say any break in period is passed.

Ok. I've made up my mind (my opinion follows. Remember it is just my personal opinion and YMMV) and the LCPII 22 is a fun range gun but is just not reliable enough for carry even using CCI Velocitors that it likes unless used as a back up to the back up. But then I have a stone reliable LC 9 for a back up and a choice between an LCP 380 and a Kel Tec P32, both stone reliable, for a back up to a back up so I don't see me carrying the LCPII 22. Still a fun range gun though and I don't regret buying it but would have been very happy had it been carry reliable.

MGO Member
    Interesting. Thanks for the review.

Sounds like the failures of the LCPII 22 is an ammo problem not a pistol problem. I'd be interested to see if Armscore 36gr HV ammo would work in it. Can find it at Dunhams occasionally for $30 for 2/500 round bricks. I've shot thousands of rounds through my SR22 without a failure.
    No man made law physically prevents one from doing anything they have a mind to.

Update on the LCP II 22. I guess it needed breaking in because it has become reliable as can be with CCI 36gr Mini Mags and Velocitors. Just for the heck of it I ran a couple of mags of CCI 36 gr Mini Mags through my LCP II 22 today. Ran perfect. It is also range acceptable with various bulk ammo. I guess it likes higher velocity stuff.

Update on Twisted Industries LC380 22 conversion...

I sent Twisted Industries an email including the pics of primer strikes and after waiting a while with no answer I called. The fellow I spoke to said he would send another kit and for me to return the original one I was having problems with. Well.. the new one arrived today and off to the range I went.

The first 10 round mag of CCI 36 gr Mini Mags (the Twisted Industries recommended ammo) ran perfectly. The second mag had 2 failures to fire. The third mag had 7 failures to fire. The fourth mag had 5 failures to fire. I reran all the failed rounds through and after several attempts, as in multiple firing pin strikes, managed to get those rounds to fire except for 2 of them. Then I switched to bulk Federal 36 gr and had 8 failures to fire.

A bit discouraged I tried some Auto match 40 gr and had 6 failures to eject where the spent shell stuck in the ejection port.

l commend Twisted Industries for standing behind their product but I am not impressed with the performance of the conversion kit.

I am a Forum User
    You may find that the misfired rounds that do not fire in your pistol(s) may fire thru a rifle.
    That has been my experience..not all misfired rds will fire in a rifle, but most do.
    I've considered conversion kits for several of my pistols & found that for not that much more money, a separate firearm does the task, better than a conversion.
    Almost bought a conversion kit to shoot .22 RF in an Ar-15.. but considering cost of conversion, accuracy, & reliability, decided to buy a S&W M&P 15-22 instead.
    Now, don't have to be concerned with dirty powder reside in an AR from .22RF rds being shot in it, or have to clean wax (bullet lube) from my AR's barrel.
    The S&W M&P doesn't seem to be adversely affected by these issues.

I do commend you on the write up, testing & reporting your findings..you did a good job describing your testing & results..
    Last edited by joepistol; 02-18-2020 at 08:29 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast