Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

I am a Forum User

Senator Introduces Federal Protections for Travelers with Guns

Senator Introduces Federal Protections for Travelers with Guns

Alex Wong/Getty Images

By AWR Hawkins
    Breitbart
    January 9th. 2020

Sen. Steve Daines (R-MT) introduced legislation to protect Americans with guns traveling state to state.

The other senators involved with the legislation are James Lankford (R-OK) and Mike Rounds (R-SD).

The legislation bolsters the Firearm Owners Protection Act by adding protections for Americans who cross state lines from gun-friendly states to states that are less-gun friendly. To that end, the legislation seeks to ensure that law-abiding gun owners are not arrested for violation of local laws that center upon “the possession, transportation, or carrying of firearms.”

There would be exceptions to the protection, as in a case where law enforcement has “probable cause.” But otherwise, the legislation seeks to lessen the hoops through which a law-abiding citizen must jump in order to travel with a gun.

Daines said, “This is about protecting law abiding gun owners and their right to safely transport their firearms. Montanans want their 2nd Amendment rights protected and that’s what I’m fighting for.”

NRA-ILA executive director Jason Ouimet said:

Law-abiding Americans traveling with unloaded, secured firearms have continually been harassed with malicious arrests and prosecutions when traveling through anti-gun jurisdictions. Senator Daines’ legislation ensures such outrageous actions will no longer be tolerated under the law. On behalf of the NRA’s five million members, we thank Senator Daines for having the legislative courage to stand and fight against local bullies who were hoping to suppress our Second Amendment rights.

Daines’ pro-gun efforts are joined by Sens. Ted Cruz (R-TX), Mike Crapo (R-ID), James Lankford (R-OK), and Mike Rounds (R-SD).

MGO Board of Directors

Trustee

Travelers already have some protections under federal law. The problem is that crappy state/cities don't care.
    Per the fox news article on this, "Daines said he wanted the burden of proof to be on the states to prove that a traveler violated the law beyond a reasonable doubt." So they can still take all sorts of action against you, they're just less likely to win in court...

If his bill doesn't make it harder for them to start a case against you and specifically call out anti-gun municipalities doing this as deprivation of civil rights under color of law that is punishable as a federal crime, it's feel good junk in a reelection year.
    DISCLAIMER: Disclaimer. The opinions expressed in this post are those of the author, DrScaryGuy. They do not purport to reflect the opinions or views of MGO, its board of directors, or its members.

I don't see anyone from Michigan backing this up.

MGO Board of Directors

Trustee

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJak View Post
    I don't see anyone from Michigan backing this up.
    I'm sure stabenow will get right on it...
    and peters too. though his website now seems to be highly lacking in references to which party he fella... he fell... he fell in line with
    DISCLAIMER: Disclaimer. The opinions expressed in this post are those of the author, DrScaryGuy. They do not purport to reflect the opinions or views of MGO, its board of directors, or its members.

MGO Member
    We can fix part of that come November-the Peters part.

JOHN JAMES all the way..

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by langenc View Post
    We can fix part of that come November-the Peters part.

JOHN JAMES all the way..
    Hes got my vote.

I am a Forum User
    The solution is a lawsuit going to the supreme court, that will give the FOPA teeth.

With the House we currently have, the only way this legislation gets through, is if another hughes amendment is snuck in.