Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    MGO Board of Directors

Misaligned Hammer

I inherited this BP derringer. As you can see the hammer looks like it lines up,

Hammer11.jpg

but it doesn't. Won't snap a cap.

Hammer21.jpg

I don't see any wiggle room in how the parts fit. I'm thinking of heating the hammer an sightly bending it, but I'm concerned that I'll mess it up.

Any thoughts on getting this to fire?
    "But then there are plenty of gun folks who think no one should rock the boat because it might piss off the anti gun crowd/politicians and cause even more gun control." - Bikenut
    Submissive gun rights advocates need to lose their submissiveness before we lose our 2A rights.

Is it possible the barrel isn't fully engaged in the tang? Or the tang isn't in the wood all the way. It might be the angle, but the fit of the barrel doesn't look just right.

Unload, disassemble, clean, inspect parts. Look for worn, bent or out of alignment issues, do not forget the wood issues.
    Reassemble and insure part fit correctly. if not, why. What really require correction!
    Do not attempt repair without knowing what is really wrong.

(or just smack it with a hammer and hope for the best)

Doing it correct enables the person to learn something about the firearm and how it fits together.

Most of these were kit guns, with detailed instructions to assembly it correctly.
    You may want to find a similar pistol and see what needs to be completed.

Here is on link,

for a starter.. the set-up may be the same for most BP Percussion Pistols.

Use the name of the pistol you are working on for a search.
    Sometimes a little whittling is required to make it come together.
    some times things may not line up.

Last edited by zcolt45; 01-14-2020 at 05:05 PM.

MGO Board of Directors

Quote Originally Posted by markopolo50 View Post
    the fit of the barrel doesn't look just right.
    I agree, but I disassembled it. There is no way to get the barrel to go further back because of the pin that holds it in place. No moving that hole.
    "But then there are plenty of gun folks who think no one should rock the boat because it might piss off the anti gun crowd/politicians and cause even more gun control." - Bikenut
    Submissive gun rights advocates need to lose their submissiveness before we lose our 2A rights.

I am a Forum User
    Is it possible to turn the bolster rearwards a bit ?
    ( bolster is piece the nipple screws into )
    doesn't look like it'd take much for the nipple to clear the edge of the hammer, if this is done.

There's a muzzle loader shop , called Flint & Frizzen ( http://flintandfrizzengunshop.com/Home_Page.php )
    that could help, if you talk to Bruce there, if you want an expect opinion.

MGO Member
    Anson Morgan at Kenockee Trading Post in Avoca (near Port Huron) is another person who could help: http://www.kenockeetradinpost.com/

I know zero about these pistols, but one thought is a weak spring in the hammer not letting it hit hard enough.
    Join MGO Date 07-25-2007
    AMAC Member

It could be something as easy as the wrong caps, #10 vs #11. Or it could be the wrong nipple.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

MGO Board of Directors

Quote Originally Posted by Jackam View Post
    I don't think that the two pistols are the same. But, still, look at the height of the two different nipples, that will make a difference too.

As most of the real muzzleloading traditionalists would say: There is a proper place for a nipple, and it is not on a MANS gun.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast