Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I am a Forum User
    It looks like a kit gun that was not put together well based on the gap between the lock and bolster, and the barrel tang sticking out.
    It looks like if the lock was moved down and forward it would line up just fine.

Bend the nipple. Hammer could be cast.

MGO Member
    Shorter nipple should do the trick.
    Stop The Robberies Enjoy Safe Streets / You can't argue with slaves that don't know they're shackled.

MGO Board of Directors

Quote Originally Posted by Roundballer View Post
    Or it could be the wrong nipple.
    But, still, look at the height of the two different nipples, that will make a difference too.
    Quote Originally Posted by john.41 View Post
    Shorter nipple should do the trick.
    That's GOTTA be it!

I will commence the search for a locally appropriated nipple tomorrow.

As most of the real muzzleloading traditionalists would say: There is a proper place for a nipple, and it is not on a MANS gun.
    Which reminds me to ask.... where would one buy a used flintlock rifle if one was so inclined?
    Last edited by Jackam; 01-16-2020 at 12:42 AM.
    "But then there are plenty of gun folks who think no one should rock the boat because it might piss off the anti gun crowd/politicians and cause even more gun control." - Bikenut
    Submissive gun rights advocates need to lose their submissiveness before we lose our 2A rights.

I am a Forum User
    If your convinced you need a shorter nipple, you could file the existing one down, although you may end up needing larger caps then if you don't also turn down the OD.
    Down side is it's not as easy to make the nipple longer again if that doesn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackam View Post
    Which reminds me to ask.... where would one buy a used flintlock rifle if one was so inclined?
    At one of the Muzzleloading shops, or one of the shows.

Mar 3, (I think) Lapeer Firelocks show at the American Legion hall in Lapeer.
    While you are there, find Anson and Judy Morgan. They are the proprietors of the Kenokee Trading Post in Avoca MI. Ask what they might have.

March 21-22 (google that to be sure) The Kalamazoo Living History show. That is a HUGE show.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

MGO Board of Directors

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    If your convinced you need a shorter nipple, you could file the existing one down,
    I Filed it down a bit and got the gun to fire - sometimes!

The nice thing is, it's now unloaded and I can fire percussion caps all day long in my basement until I get it right.
    "But then there are plenty of gun folks who think no one should rock the boat because it might piss off the anti gun crowd/politicians and cause even more gun control." - Bikenut
    Submissive gun rights advocates need to lose their submissiveness before we lose our 2A rights.

MGO Board of Directors

While you are there, find Anson and Judy Morgan. They are the proprietors of the Kenokee Trading Post in Avoca MI. Ask what they might have.

March 21-22 (google that to be sure) The Kalamazoo Living History show. That is a HUGE show.
    Thank you for the info!

I couldn't make it to the Novi show today. I think the March 3 show is right up my alley though!

Quote Originally Posted by Jackam View Post
    Thank you for the info!

I think the March 3 show is right up my alley though!
    I got the reminder post card in the mail to day. I missed by two days. The Lapeer show is on the 1st of March (Sunday).

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

MGO Board of Directors

I got the reminder post card in the mail to day. I missed by two days. The Lapeer show is on the 1st of March (Sunday).
    Thank you!

I took that derringer apart and reassembled if five time today. I sanded down the wood some so that the lock would go inboard some more. It didn't help, but I was scared to go anymore. There were also some internal carvings that I could have sanded down a bit, but I wussied out.

I was able to get the hammer to strike the cap of the hammer cup rim and this makes it snap a cap 100% of the time. It's not right, but it works! I always wear safety glasses, so there's that.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast