Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Marketplace Moderator

AR15 barrel needs dimples

I need someone with a .750 dimple jig near me. I am installing a free float handguard and a low profile gas block. I am in St. Clair Shores. Thank You, MOOSE

I am a Forum User
    I might be able to help. I have a SLR jig. So I can at least dimple directly underneath the gas port.

What is the screw spacing of the gas block, and is the barrel melonite?

Marketplace Moderator
    It has a standard phosphate barrel. I do not have a low profile gas block yet. Thanks, MOOSE

I am a Forum User
    Well I think I have an extra SLR gb7 block somewhere I’ll sell you. I’ll have to check.

Marketplace Moderator
    Let me know. Thanks

I am a Forum User
    sending PM.

I am a Forum User
    You really don't need a dimple jig if you are at all handy with a drill.

I usually make my own dimple jig from the existing gas block & an old (longer) set screw.

I clamp a drill bit that JUST snugly fits in the set screw hex in my bench vise (this keeps the drill bit centered in the set screw hex), then put the longer set screw in my cordless drill chuck (hex facing out). Then drill the set screw just deep enough to get a nice shallow center hole in the set screw.

Then I switch to the size drill bit that I intend to use to make the dimples, then carefully drill the set screw all the way through. (the spinning set screw pretty well keeps the hole centered in the set screw)

I then install the gas block on the barrel & line it up correctly, then use one of the original set screws to hold the gas block in place.

Then I install the longer (drilled) set screw snugly in the other gas block hole, then use the previously drilled center hole as a dimple jig.

Then I install the other original set screw in that hole & install the longer (drilled) set screw in the other gas block hole & dimple that one.

I'm pretty anal about perfectly centering the gas block hole over the barrel hole so I use an old drill bit that just fits into the gas block gas hole (loosely but not a sloppy fit), then cut the drill bit (non-fluted end) to fit in the gas block hole but slide into the hole just far enough to allow the barrel to slide through.

Then I clamp that cut-off drill bit end into my cordless drill & spin it while using my Dremel & disk to grind the end of that short drill bit to fit the barrel gas hole (about a 3/16" long smaller diameter that just fits in the barrel gas hole so it won't stick).

Then I put that small alignment dowel in the gas block gas hole, slide the gas block on the barrel then wiggle the gas block around until the alignment dowel (small diameter) just drops into the barrel gas hole (that gives about a perfect gas block to barrel hole alignment). At this point I install the first gas block set screw to hold it while doing the barrel dimpling.

When done I remove both set screws & invert the barrel then wiggle the gas block so that alignment dowel drops back into the gas block far enough to allow the gas block to pull off of the barrel.

It only takes me about 15-20 minutes to make the set screw & alignment dowel (it usually takes me longer to dig through my old worn drill bits to find the proper size shank for the alignment dowel).

Set screw is usually re-usable for the next gas block dimpling as the set screws are usually the same size but the gas block or barrel gas hole might require a different alignment dowel be made.