Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

I am a Forum User

7.62 x 25 Handguns; Eastern Europe

I've been looking into some Soviet bloc made hand guns that fire 7.62 x 25 ammo. I am trying to understand why I should prefer one over another; such as the CZ 52 vs. the Takorev TT-33; and the difference between that and the TT-C.

I've read those last couple models may have some safety issue; some imported here had to have safety mechanisms installed if they were from Romania, apparently.

Some of these guns cost a couple hundred dollars or so; some $500-$600 (- which I am not likely to spend; I want a gun known to be reliable; not have high 'collectors' value).

Also; can anyone tell me about 'pro's or 'cons' of the 7.62 x 25 ammo in general - and about using one of the guns I mentioned - or something else firing the same caliber, as an occassional 'carry' gun?

Thanks for any input; I do appreciate it! - Greg

I am a Forum User
    The CZ 52 is a much stronger design over the TT, and was designed to be able to handle the sub-gun ammo.

With that being said, the 52 still is not without issues. If you go that route, highly recommend getting hardened rollers and a new firing pin.

The TT I shot was less ergonomic then a Glock, and the CZ feels not bad in the hand.

For ammo, the supply of surplus is drying up so it's not as cheap to shoot as it once was, but I do have some S&B hollow-points, and they are still made. Not a #1 (or even #10) choice for a carry gun, but they do work.

My first pistol was a Zastava M57 and I still love it, so much fun to shoot. There is plenty of modern ammo online, hollow points included. M57s are less than 300 dollars on Classic Firearms so I would say to go that route, and if you look on Ebay and I think even Amazon people make kydex holsters for Tokarevs. As for carrying it's just an Ivan 1911, as long as you get one with a manual safety you can keep it cocked and locked [or I guess the ones on Classic have trigger safeties] you should be alright.

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregorio View Post
    I've been looking into some Soviet bloc made hand guns that fire 7.62 x 25 ammo. I am trying to understand why I should prefer one over another; such as the CZ 52 vs. the Takorev TT-33; and the difference between that and the TT-C.

I've read those last couple models may have some safety issue; some imported here had to have safety mechanisms installed if they were from Romania, apparently.

Some of these guns cost a couple hundred dollars or so; some $500-$600 (- which I am not likely to spend; I want a gun known to be reliable; not have high 'collectors' value).

Also; can anyone tell me about 'pro's or 'cons' of the 7.62 x 25 ammo in general - and about using one of the guns I mentioned - or something else firing the same caliber, as an occassional 'carry' gun?

Thanks for any input; I do appreciate it! - Greg
    I believe none of the TT series originally had frame mounted safeties, but had to have them to meet import restrictions. Some of the Soviet TT-33s made it into the country before that requirement. Those seem to command a premium.
    No clause in the constitution could by any rule of construction be conceived to give congress a power to disarm the people. Such a flagitious attempt could only be made under some general pretence by a state legislature. But if in any blind pursuit of inordinate power, either should attempt it, this amendment may be appealed to as a restraint on both.
    William Rawle - offered the position of the first Attorney General of the United States, by President Washington

I had a new looking CZ52 for a while. It was an excellent shooter, and was a ton of fun when surplus ammo was still $0.09/rd.

The CZ52 decocker was said to be a safety concern, and wasn’t to be trusted. The one I had functioned well, but since it was a range toy I never really used that feature. It was odd in than when activated, the energy of the falling hammer was transferred sharply back into your thumb through the lever.

I put a spam can of ammo through mine before I sold it, and never had a gun related issue with it. The polish surplus ammo I had would like to split necks where the dimple crimps were, and about 1 in 10 had a hard primer that required a second strike.

I never messed with the surplus stuff because I didn't want to have to soak my gun in Windex.

Quote Originally Posted by JDeko View Post
    I never messed with the surplus stuff because I didn't want to have to soak my gun in Windex.
    I forgot all about doing that.

IIRC I used winded in the bore with a jag, and never had a problem anywhere else.

I am a Forum User
    Thanks to everyone who replied. JDeko - I think I'm going to find a Zastava also; primarily because they accomodate 9 rounds (-'pinky extension'), and those that have a 'safety' switch are a different design the 'add ons' the other Tokerav's have behind the trigger.
    Some reviews claim the Zastava is the most well made of any models; though one guy I saw on Youtube really praised the Polish made ones.

Thanks again! - Greg

I am a Forum User
    I have a m57 I put 1500+ through with cheap ammo. I havent touched it in years. I would NEVER carry it, "ivan 1911 like" or not. The first m57 I purchased had a trigger issue that caused a ND. Any of these com block surplus guns should be treated as such. Even the 9x18 firearms (as good as the cz 82 and makarov are).

Quote Originally Posted by HemiChallenger View Post
    I have a m57 I put 1500+ through with cheap ammo. I havent touched it in years. I would NEVER carry it, "ivan 1911 like" or not. The first m57 I purchased had a trigger issue that caused a ND. Any of these com block surplus guns should be treated as such. Even the 9x18 firearms (as good as the cz 82 and makarov are).
    Mine has such a short reset if I try to shoot from the reset I normally end up doing two round bursts, but other than that I've had no issues though I've not tested it too much though I did carry my Tokarev on rather... "enthusiastic" walks with my pointer for around 4 months with it cocked and locked and never had an ND.